DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, I'd like your thoughts. First off, what I have:

Its freshly detailed every Friday as I'm a detailer so its in overall excellent condition. Its an 03 with a 5.7 and the t-bars cranked up 1 1/2", 285 70 17 MT/Rs and 94K on the clock. No major problems to speak of.

This is what I'm looking at:

Its an 01 with a 5.9 and 108K and 315 tires.

For off roading I prefer a straight axle, the miles don't bother me and eventually down the line I would have lifted my truck where as the 01 already has a Skyjacker lift. The 01 is pretty much as clean as my truck inside and out. The 01 was traded in and their deal hasn't been funded as of yet so this might not even happen but if it does, my payments will decrease and I will owe about 3g less.

I am was a Chevy guy and my current Dodge has won me over. I'm now comfortable with it. So my question is should I do the deal if it becomes available? Oh and the only outwardly thing wrong with the 01 is the tranny pan is seeping and it looks like the tcase will need to be resealed. Other than that the 01 drives and rides nice and seems mechanically sound.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i say go for it..looks real nice to me. Tough looking truck and nice tow hooks, and its white like mine. DO IT !

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
JMO but from my experiences with 2nd gens and 3rd gens, 3rd gens are better quality all around, they hold up better. Especially the interiors and transmissions. The 5.9L will get worse mpg also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
JMO but from my experiences with 2nd gens and 3rd gens, 3rd gens are better quality all around, they hold up better. Especially the interiors and transmissions. The 5.9L will get worse mpg also.
I second that opinion. I love the 2nd Generation Rams but the transmissions aren't exactly known for their reliability and the 5.9L gets atrocious gas mileage. I borrowed my Dad's 1999 5.9L and used it move when I was back in college. I had to absolutely baby it to get 14mpg on the highway and I babied the crap out it. The interiors look nice but fall apart, my dad might as well not even have a dash, it's cracked and has a hole on the top. I wouldn't trade an 03 for an 01 that's just my .02 cents. Not to mention I have to imagine your truck is worth more money. You could always try to trade your truck up for a 3rd Gen, prices are good on those.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It's a good looking truck but you'll miss the HEMI if ya go to a 5.9

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
OK folks, I'd like your thoughts. First off, what I have:

Its freshly detailed every Friday as I'm a detailer so its in overall excellent condition. Its an 03 with a 5.7 and the t-bars cranked up 1 1/2", 285 70 17 MT/Rs and 94K on the clock. No major problems to speak of.

This is what I'm looking at:

Its an 01 with a 5.9 and 108K and 315 tires.

For off roading I prefer a straight axle, the miles don't bother me and eventually down the line I would have lifted my truck where as the 01 already has a Skyjacker lift. The 01 is pretty much as clean as my truck inside and out. The 01 was traded in and their deal hasn't been funded as of yet so this might not even happen but if it does, my payments will decrease and I will owe about 3g less.

I am was a Chevy guy and my current Dodge has won me over. I'm now comfortable with it. So my question is should I do the deal if it becomes available? Oh and the only outwardly thing wrong with the 01 is the tranny pan is seeping and it looks like the tcase will need to be resealed. Other than that the 01 drives and rides nice and seems mechanically sound.
#1, I would NOT, under ANY circumstances, trade a new car for an older car, with the exception of going from any brand to a Lexus. This is just my preference.

#2, I wouldnt want to finance anything over 5 years old (with the exception of 3 brands-Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Ferrari/Lambo etc...

#3, NEVER trade a vehicle with no problems for one that has problems, however small they might be.

No offense to anyone that has one, but 2nd gens, pretty as they are (they are a kickass design, even now), are nowhere near reliable (typically). My family has had 3 of them, and they were all shit by 100k. :4-dontknow: I cannot in good conscience recommend one to anyone.

Again, that doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there...but...

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
agree with some others, why trade a sound truck that you are familiar with for a an older truck? nor am i a fan of skyjacker lifts.,

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had a 97 that was a great truck, one of my warehouse guys still drives it. I went for the 97 to the 08 and there is a world of difference in ride quality, plus the dash is, or will crack at some point. I tried in vain to find a replacement for my 97 with no luck. Keep you truck sir. Put the money into you current truck to get the final look you will be happy with. The HEMI is good for 200k if maintained properly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
smart choice. trade in for a newer, not older truck, when your ready.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts