DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the 2nd gen. section, but thought I would ask here. I have a 98 5.9 A/T 4x4 225k miles on it. I tow a 4200# gooseneck a lot. I haul 1-3 tons of firewood regularly. Considering an upgrade because I'm beating my old truck to death. Is there that much of a difference towing with say an 06 or 07 in the same truck style? I would like to stay with the 5.9, and a manual is not really on option because of health issues. Can't rely on left leg to push clutch sometimes. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Honestly, from my experience, a 2006 with a hemi would tow that with 3:92's quite easily. 3 tons + 4200 lbs = 10,200 lbs. A friend of mine had a 98 Cummins in a 2500 and my old 2005 hemi 1500 would tow his big gooseneck trailer better. However, by 2006 or 07, the Cummins were very strong. I think you'll see quite a step up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also thinking of stopping power. Les Schwab does my brake work, and I had to replace both front and back sets within 18k miles last year. Also had to replace one rear drum it was so fried. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, drums are not the best. I think the stock brakes on my 05 Ram 1500 lasted 130,000 miles, though I used it for heavy towing and carrying heavy marine diesels weighing up to 3,500 lbs in the bed. I had extra rear leaf springs and Rancho 9,000 shocks. I also ran a rear Helwig sway bar, really helped towing a gooseneck or fifth wheel. I'd think a 2500 with either a Cummins or hemi should get the job done for you. Nice thing with those later 5.9 Cummins, lots of tuning available!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts