DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. If you have read too many of my posts then you probably know that I LOVE my Ram. The only one single thing I would change is to add more power. The first gen 4.7 engine seems like a great engine...it's just entirely underpowered for a quad cab automatic pickup. I wasn't actually looking to trade but I ran across a hemi truck that I might be able to basically trade even for. What do you guys think??

Both trucks are silver (my favorite color), SLT trim level, quad cab, 4x4, automatics and have within 500 miles of the same mileage (about 67k). The two big differences are that my truck is a 2006 where the other is a 2004 and my truck has the 4.7 where the other truck has the hemi. There are a few minor differences....like my truck having step bars and the other one not and my truck having a Line-x liner and the other I think has a drop-in. I haven't been to see it in person yet so for arguements sake we will assume they are in the same overall condition.

I am a little hesitant and the only way I will even consider trading is if they swap me dead even....I don't even want to pay tax, tag, and title....and swap wheels and tires. The 2004 has the "flower petal" 20" wheels and looks to have a lower profile street tire.

What do you guys think? Would I be an idiot to do this? I know my truck is worth more than their's but I am also taking into consideration that they are trying to get retail out of their's and I am trading mine in.

Also, are there any big differences or issues that the 2004 truck might have that the 2006's do not? I know Dodge had some transmission issues that seem to have been improved in the early 2000 and up trucks. Would the 2004 tranny be as reliable as my 2006?

Thanks ahead of time. I know that's a lot but I am really stressing over this, lol.

Here's a link to the 2004 if anyone cares to check it out.

http://www.universitynissanusedcars...c-used-2004-dodge-ram-1500-vid94333805-wp2789

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
That's a tough one. The '04 is a good year, at least it has tuning ability, unlike the '03. If you're set on getting into a hemi then a straight across trade is the simple way to go, but I would have the truck looked over with a fine toothed comb as it IS 2 years older and likely has more age-related issues than your '06 would. The tranny on the '04 is the 545RFE, the upgraded tranny from the 45RFE which had all the problems. You can remove the nerf bars and install them on teh new truck just the same as swapping the wheels over, so there shouldn't be any issue with that; as you said, yours is worth a little bit more, so take more with you in the swap.

On a side note, my brother's '04 hemi is doing him just fine, and it's used as a DD and to haul their camper trailer across the mountains every summer.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Take a mechanic with you to check it out
Paying them a small fee, may save you big buck hassles later

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. The truck is about an hour and a half from me and I need to decide whether I am going to go look at it or not by some time tomorrow so I can call my boss and try to get off of work for Monday. In the event that I were to trade....it sucks that I just got all four Bilstein 5100s installed and a new Magnaflow and SS tip, lol. I guess the good news is that the 2004 has torsion bars and I wouldn't have to buy a leveling kit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't do it man, Gut it out with your 4.7 until life allows you to truly upgrade. I spent the past 5 years towing a bass boat all over this mountain state with an S10 Crew Cab. Not only did it run like shit but it looked gay while doing it. 5 years, FIVE! but now I am driving what I really wanted. There were a couple chances during that time to trade up or over to a v8 dakota or 5.3 RCSB silverado but I gutted it out. Thats my opinion

·
Registered
16 rebel hemi quad cab
1,289 Posts
Id have it really looked at and if its sound and theyll do a straight swap I dont see why not especially if you take your wheel/tires. If someone offered me that trade for my truck Id do it in a hearbeat

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't do it man, Gut it out with your 4.7 until life allows you to truly upgrade. I spent the past 5 years towing a bass boat all over this mountain state with an S10 Crew Cab. Not only did it run like shit but it looked gay while doing it. 5 years, FIVE! but now I am driving what I really wanted. There were a couple chances during that time to trade up or over to a v8 dakota or 5.3 RCSB silverado but I gutted it out. Thats my opinion
I could probably afford to get into a newer third gen or maybe even a fourth gen hemi in about a year if not for the fact that my wife and I are planning to buy a new house within the next three to four years. That being said, if I don't make a trade similar to this one where it isn't going to cost me very much, then I probably won't trade at all. I will probably be keeping my current truck (or the 2004 if I trade) for several years.

Id have it really looked at and if its sound and theyll do a straight swap I dont see why not especially if you take your wheel/tires. If someone offered me that trade for my truck Id do it in a hearbeat
Yeah, if I do end up going to look at it and talk numbers and I'm still interested I intend to take it home for at least a night and have it checked out locally.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would not do it. Trading down and not knowing what you may be getting in to. If your truck is in good cond. just put up with the unpower till you can jump to maybe a 4 gen. They get old quick enough. The 2 years will make a different in price when you do trade. You will get this truck and then you will start add things and will have way to much in to it. Set back take a deep breath and think this one out. There is a lot of good deals out there so do not be hasty. Dad has spoken.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dad, lol. I did a little digging and found out that the truck was registered to a 60 year old man and woman since 2006. It appears that they traded it in to a dealership where they live and it got transferred to a sister dealership that has a better market for 4x4s. I even Google-Earthed their address and saw the truck sitting in their driveway, lol. I also saw a commercial delivery truck backed up beside the house so I am thinking the low miles (8k miles/year) is because it wasn't a daily driver.

Arrrrggggg!!! I can't decide whether I want to try this or not. I love my truck (except for the power) and feel like I know it very well but the thought of a 110 hp/80 tq boost has me slobbering.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
well if it helps, the 04 that I own (which is basically the same as the one you are looking at) was owned by my dad (I bought it from him last september) from brand new. He still says it is the best vehicle he has ever owned! I think about all that you will be scrificing is the interior a bit. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well if it helps, the 04 that I own (which is basically the same as the one you are looking at) was owned by my dad (I bought it from him last september) from brand new. He still says it is the best vehicle he has ever owned! I think about all that you will be scrificing is the interior a bit. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for your thoughts. Is your dash cracked by chance? I haven't quite figured out what year Dodge fixed that problem. On carcomplaints.com there are 200-400 complaints for cracked dash for each model year from 2001-2003 and only 11 for 2004 so hopefully it was resolved. Knowing my dash is eventually going to fall apart would be a dealbreaker. I guess if it isn't cracked after eight years its probably okay.

If I can get off of work I think I will at least go up tomorrow and check the 04 truck out. I have never driven a hemi so I would like to drive it anyway. I have pretty much made up my mind that the only way I will trade is if the truck is in as good of condition as mine, they swap wheels and tires, and let me keep my step bars....and, of course, it isn't going to cost me any more. I'm still open to thoughts though!! Keep em coming.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Swap

Just thinking and not that it matters but was not the hp of the older hemi a lot less then the newer model, I'm not sure when they up the hp. Also I may not know what I'm talking about. Dad

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just thinking and not that it matters but was not the hp of the older hemi a lot less then the newer model, I'm not sure when they up the hp. Also I may not know what I'm talking about. Dad
Not a lot but yes, it is less.

2002-2007 4.7L = 235hp/295tq
2008-current 4.7L = 310hp/330tq
2002-2008 5.7L = 345hp/375tq
2009-current 5.7L = 390hp/407tq

I did get off of work tomorrow so I am going to go check it out. The link I posted to the 2004 in my first post didnt work well for me earlier so here are a few pics of it. It would look a ton better with my wheels and tires on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tough decision. Personally I'd stick with what I know. Sometimes those trucks that are owned by older folks with low milage can be real problems, such as sitting for long periods of time, poor maintainence...then when someone who acutally is going to work the truck or even just drive it harder, can result in many gremlins creeping up. Not trying to be sterotypical, but I've seen it happen several times.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK maybe I missed something here; this is a dealership right? Why is a dealership going to do a straight swap with you?

They are selling the truck they're not in the business of trades unless it is to their advantage. You say your truck has a similar value; not to a dealer. Your truck has a trade in value to them which is likely less than what they want for the '04. As far as taxes and tags, the dealership likely has to handle this as a sale even if your trade-in was worth the same as the sale. So they would have to file the proper papers which would likely mean they need to charge tax on the sale as well as whatever paperwork fees they usually charge.

If I missed something I apologize but if you're looking to trade with a dealer I don't see what their incentive is.

·
Registered
754 Posts
IMO as some have said do not go down two years just to get the HEMI. Stay with your truck until you can go 4th gen. You know what you have right now..

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have an 04 and i love it. that being said i dont think the 04 you are looking at is worth the 15K they want. i bought mine 4 years ago for 15K. i just got to 97K and i drive it hard everyday. the truck is a beast but not worth that money. i would say keep yours until you can jump up. 04s also have some restrictions when it comes to tuning. now if it was an 05 that would be different as the 05s are arguably the best tunable and moddable trucks out there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
04 here so i will chime in.04 5.7 hemi doesn't have mds (if u care). biggest problem with 02-05 is rust over rear wheels(big problem wherever snow/salt) remove taillight lens (2 screws) shine light inside see if its rusted, it will break thru the paint eventually (they rust from inside out) problem is double walled fender sealed with foam. 06 they fixed issue replaced foam with rubberized silicone. most other things r
same as 06 model

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would say only do it if its the truck you really want. Thats what I did. I had an 08 4.7l great truck loved it but I became...power hungry lol I searched and I searched and finally found the truck I really wanted (minus the color) but even that has grown on me, because the rest of the truck is perfect. No I don't have the new 390 hp hemi but thats ok I think the 3rd gen look the best especially the 06-08 models. I have all the shiny options a powerful hemi decent gas mileage....when I can keep my foot of the gas. But I sat and stared at this truck for two weeks before deciding to go through with it. I would only do the trade if its the truck you really want. As for the dealer chances are fairly good the will do close to the trade you want. I went up in engine and trim level by alot sxt to big horn with all the bells and whistles for starting my loan over at the same price i paid for the 4.7 and 1K a down payment. and they gave me more than what I owed on the trade.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts