DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new here. im a senior in high school and in need of a truck to go to school in the fall (alfred state) i drive a business vehichle now but i cant take it to school. also i cant off road with it. i found a few options i found a cool lifted 04 ram with 70k miles, flowmaster, KN intake, etc
my dads an old timer and thinks dodges are junk, im not gunna lie, i havent heard anyone (whose actually had one) say anything bad about them, but maybe cause that was cause i was texting people who were trying to sell them. so how is the reliablility of dodges? my dad said that hell only help me out with the truck if i agree to pay all repairs the truck needs, but im not sure if i should go for that, or what. any troubles with the 04? any years to stay away from?

the guy is asking 15k but i got him down to 11k with a trade on my quad which is worth about 1800, if needed i can post a link

thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, my truck is holding up pretty good. Every make and generation of truck has it's good and bad. Dodges did have a reputation for indestructible powertrains but the exterior and trim was pretty cheap. I can attest to that with an old one I had. Ran great, looked like hell.

Check KBB.com for the retail, trade and private seller values on that truck you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You can keep them in good shape. But if you live in an area that uses corrosive materials to deice roads or near a salt water environment, corrosion will be a problem...always...for everything made of metal, painted or not.

If you don't fix what needs fixin', things can get worse. Heck, any truck will wear down. The ones that are better maintained last longer.

Not sure what your buddy's grandpa's year dodge was but mine's doing just fine at 80K and it ain't had an easy life. But it has been routinely serviced.

Not a bad lookin' truck that ya linked to. I'd be a bit leery about the lift until I inspected it. With that rubber sticking out the side I would expect it has a few rock chips on it.

Have the seller pull a Car Fax for ya.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Suggested Retail in Islip NY for that truck is $17,757 in "Excellent" condition.

"Good" condition is $15,572

Trade In value is $11,597

So, you aren't getting a bad deal at all on the price.

I'd have it inspected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love my Dodge (Mega Cab).... That being said, it has had its share of issues in the last 7 months. FUEL-> You gotta know in advance.... 5.7's like their fuel. I have a size 16 foot... So mine REALLY likes her FUEL. Frequent spark plug changes (16 plugs) CHECK ENGINE LIGHT-> is on 50% of the time. It is annoying. SO far it has not cost me anything but time and patience to fix any issues. FWIW... Long trips, its ok on gas. In town, it can be a killer. Not to rain on a parade... but if I were headed off to school.... I'd look for a better on fuel, cheaper to maintain rig.... Your choice really...... Gas and sparkplugs.... or Beer and ..... well... all the good times that can go with beer..... I know what I'd Pick... Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
With any used vehicle, it should be checked out by a trusted mechanic
if the seller won't let you take it to your trusted mechanic for inspection, it might be best to just walk away
The biggest worry for me would be the front steering & suspension, that would be my concern, lifted or stock
Almost everything else can be found in a wrecking yard

When & if you want to make it look prettier, there are places like LMC that carry just about everything
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/de/de.htm
http://www.lmctruck.com/dodge/

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have an 04, I bought it from my dad in September and he had it since new, he says it is the best vehicle he has every owned, Better than his 08 laramie... 135,000 kms and no issues! I love it :D

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
There's a lot of good info so far, so I'll touch base on something I've experienced.

As for any type of body rust. It's been my experience that my dodges have rusted from the outside-in. Meaning that when you see the rust, it's usually just starting and can be taken care of relatively easily.

Pretty much the same with any GM trucks I've owned, except that for mechanically they're over-engineered, and time consuming to work on the 4wd components.

In-laws have always owned Fords. They seem to me to rust from the inside-out. So by the time you see any rust on it, it's a major repair.

I like my Dodge and it's relatively simplistic engineering and user friendly serviceable parts...for the most part.

200,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil, regular maintenance, and nothing major.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With any used vehicle, it should be checked out by a trusted mechanic
if the seller won't let you take it to your trusted mechanic for inspection, it might be best to just walk away
The biggest worry for me would be the front steering & suspension, that would be my concern, lifted or stock
Almost everything else can be found in a wrecking yard

When & if you want to make it look prettier, there are places like LMC that carry just about everything
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/de/de.htm
http://www.lmctruck.com/dodge/
Ok sweet this helps helps alot, well the thing is, the truck is about 6 hrs away so there's no way hell let me take it home to a mechanic haha I could bring my buddy who knows ALOT about vehicles of any kind, what's the deal with the front steering? What should I look/listen for? Ya I was going to car fax but I needed the vin, how many miles are these motors good for? Generally speaking

·
Registered
220 Posts
U were asking about years to stay away from in your first post. Since 2002, they've been pretty much the same truck up to 2008, before that they had tranny issues. But as for the newer ones, solid trucks. I have a 2005 with 111k on it, no issues on it, except maxed credit cards for gas. lol. For the guy with the check engine light, mine hasn't been on in the 35k that I've owned it for so far. Only issue I've had at all was a front bearing went out on the hub, easy fix 200 bucks. As a recent college grad, I gotta go with what was stated earlier, it's not my business, but I'd say go with a car or a 4 cylinder Toyota or something, that way you can buy a newer one when you graduate. Just my 2 cents. That's an awesome price for the truck though, and as far as what to look for on the front end. I would say just look for binding spots. It partially depends if it's a suspension lift or a body lift, I don't remember what it said. Either way, look and listen for any binding spots on the drive shaft etc. If you decide to sell the rims though, look toward nebraska haha!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Another quick mention, look for rubbing in the wheel wells with those 35" tires on it, they should fit, but could rub when turning or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I was looking at some tacomas but I'm in Nys and NORMALLY we get alot of snow lol so a 300zx wouldn't do too good, and where I'm going the only thing to do is off road so I got to get a truck or jeep but I don't want to always deal with a jeep, what can you do for better mileage on these trucks?

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Park it on a mountain and coast down?

Buy a horse and have him pull it back up?

There's not really a whole lot you can do to boost the mileage. However, I do find that running anything above regular gas results in a mileage improvement that compensates for the extra cost.

·
Registered
418 Posts
what can you do for better mileage on these trucks?
Walk :doh:

If you are concerned about the mpg then maybe you should seriously consider a more fuel efficient vehicle. If snow is your concern, check out something awd like a subaru or get a little car and put snow tires on it.
Because even if you drive on it easy and you get 1 extra mpg, there is still a cheaper car out there that gets much better mpg

edit- OK, but if you want my opinion on my Ram, I think it is the best truck for the money. I have the 2012 Express Quad Cab 4x4 and I have gotten as many looks and compliments on it as my 2011 Challenger. I have 3200 miles on it in 2 months. 0 Issues (no car should have issues in that many miles). Basically - I LOVE MY TRUCK

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
I have always been a Ford guy due to my dad working at the Oakville Plant so I always wanted to support him however when I was looking at trucks I couldn't resist the Dodge.

I only have 1900 kms on it but I have to tell you that it is very thirsty for fuel but what a great truck. My dad had even told me that he will more than likely buy a Dodge for his next purchase.

If your going off to school and your not continually driving back and forth it might be a good go for you. If you are then be prepared for the fuel bill. You won't be dissapointed in the Dodge.

Good luck with your decision. Take care and stay safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts