DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a soft spring stiff shock is supposed to work well .how ever I'm having a hard time finding a shock that makes sense. Any ideas. Just ordered the Gabriel rear air shocks. So that's the rear covered. Fronts. Not so easy to understand. Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put in the Gabriel air shocks in the rear to stiffen it up when the mood hits so I'm looking for something a little stiffer in the front to match. Pitches badly into hard sweepers. Lol. Very unpredictable.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have never liked soft shocks in the front. What ever comfort you gain in a smooth ride is quickly undermined when the front end dips in the corners.

About 5000 miles ago I put in a set of the Monroe Reflex shocks in my 2wd daily driver. The truck just never did feel right and I missed the ride i had in my last truck with Bilsteins.

I tolerated them for a few months, (5000 miles), before swapping back to Bilsteins.

There is no comparison! The ride quality is just so much better, it's hard to explain. There is hardly any body roll and it feels so much more positive in the corners now. It's like going from bald tires to new tires, you just feel so much more confident in your traction.

Now, back to the Monroe Reflex. Upon inspection, I found that one of the front shocks didn't return at the same rate as the other. This might explain why my truck just didn't feel right. It also explains the mysterious front end clunk that I had as it miraculously went away when I changed the shocks.

So, I was already a fan but now I am exclusive to Bilstein!

I never ran Bilsteins back when I still had 4x4's but I found the Rancho RS5000's to give me the same ride and confidence.

I had KYB's in my 04 Cummins Dually and Rancho RS5000's all around on both my 94 and 95 2500 V10's.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm driving a 1500 QC 2WD so I went with the 4600 series, same as the last set I had on my 1500 Reg cab 2WD.

24-069274 for the front and 24-025508 on the rear.

I paid $257.02 USD shipped for the complete set off of ebay. The seller is HardPartsFast but it doesn't look like he ships to Canada.

FYI, Your house looks identical to a buddies place in Grande Prairie. What are the odds?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally ordered the bilsteins. Should be showing up soon.
Still trying to sort out lowering the rear a bit. Did the shackles and it just sways everywhere.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I ran my shackles for a little under 2 months and then put it back to stock. Mine wasn't swaying but it was making contact on the shackle mount, even after I removed a bunch of material. Cheap shackles and the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

I recently upgraded to a 2107 Ram 1500 with the 4 corner air ride suspension. The ride is smooth but it has way more sway than a coil system with Bilsteins. I tried to get a standard suspension just so I could run Bilsteins but it wasn't available in the trim level I was shopping for unless custom ordered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts