DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is the situation....

I recently purchased a 05 with the 5.7 pretty clean street truck (photo added) came with 186,400 miles, with that being said I know the end is coming for this motor so I'm weighing options. better yet what are the options? on top of it all I'm looking to get a few more horses other than 345hp to keep up with the local street trucks around here. clearly the new 19's come with 395hp so we're trying to catch up with the times here.

I've been talking and wondering around the fourms and it's all mixed answers. stroker kits, cam this rebuild that blah blah blah it's never a uncertian answer and here I am !

So where do I begin ? what options are out there ?

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
Your truck has the original gen 3 Hemi 5.7; it makes 345/375 hp/tq at the crank which are very respectable numbers for its day. If you are looking at making it a street truck that will be competitive with newer trucks then you are probably looking at a build. High Horse Performance and Moe's are both good places to start.

The newer gen 3 5.7s are called the Eagle and make 395/410 hp/tq at the crank. Stock, they are about a 14 second truck; with headers, a tune and a good cam there are some running 11s.

·
Registered
611 Posts
There are any number of ways to up the horsepower but I think you need to decide how much you want to spend on the project. Here are some suggestions from Summit Racing to get you thinking about crate engines, horsepower variations and price points for a start.
There are also the options of some local rebuilding your current engine. Generally the prices are close to a crate engine but if you have a good shop nearby, they can work with you on just what you want and build it for you. A local warranty is not a bad deal either.

BTW, nice truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your truck has the original gen 3 Hemi 5.7; it makes 345/375 hp/tq at the crank which are very respectable numbers for its day. If you are looking at making it a street truck that will be competitive with newer trucks then you are probably looking at a build. High Horse Performance and Moe's are both good places to start.

The newer gen 3 5.7s are called the Eagle and make 395/410 hp/tq at the crank. Stock, they are about a 14 second truck; with headers, a tune and a good cam there are some running 11s.

So getting past the step of building a engine, has or are the newer 5.7 Eagles capable of being swapped into a Gen3?
if so why not pull a low mileage motor and trans and swap it?

Did a little digging on moes , high horse and did a youtube search, there are some serious aftermarket upgrades for the newer motors

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Check out powernation for ideas, it will be easier to build up your current bottom end with improved flowing heads/cam to make a quick, robust street truck. Greene Racing also does top notch Gen3 Hemi tuning.

An Eagle head 5.7 swap with upgrades and its harness/engine management system will be much more cumbersome/costly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out powernation for ideas, it will be easier to build up your current bottom end with improved flowing heads/cam to make a quick, robust street truck. Greene Racing also does top notch Gen3 Hemi tuning.

An Eagle head 5.7 swap with upgrades and its harness/engine management system will be much more cumbersome/costly.
the motors got 186k miles on it. is it worth rebuilding something that old and worn?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just a hone for the new rings, but 200k daily driven miles is nothing for the much harder cylinder sleeve. You could always go bore and stroke to larger displacement.

I’d definitely get rid of the OEM pistons if you want to make more than 400 wheel horsepower on pump gas, a compression test will give you a baseline current condition test.

Nice, clean RCSB by the way, at first glance I thought it was an SRT-10.

·
Registered
611 Posts
the motors got 186k miles on it. is it worth rebuilding something that old and worn?
Most wear items are replaceable like bearings and cam. The only wear to the block is cylinder walls which can be bored - as in more cubic inches - and the crank can be turned. Pretty straight forward unless there is severe damage which is unusual.
I agree that going to a later model engine is costly with a new harness and ECM needed.
Your engine has all the things necessary to be built into a screamer.
Just know what you want spend vs performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most wear items are replaceable like bearings and cam. The only wear to the block is cylinder walls which can be bored - as in more cubic inches - and the crank can be turned. Pretty straight forward unless there is severe damage which is unusual.
I agree that going to a later model engine is costly with a new harness and ECM needed.
Your engine has all the things necessary to be built into a screamer.
Just know what you want spend vs performance.
Looking to build a screamer! This is my first Dodge build, I've had a few mustangs which were a breeze this on the other hand seems a little complicated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see there is always the question spending vs performance, In this case Spending isn't a issue (I'm not rich) but I know doing the right build and installing the right way requires the right and price and a ton of time.

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
Swapping an Eagle into a gen 3 truck is going to be a huge PITA, especially an '03-05. Not that it can't be done, but I'd go the build route.

Mopars have always been more expensive to build than Chevies and Fords, just some expectation management for you.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I see there is always the question spending vs performance, In this case Spending isn't a issue (I'm not rich) but I know doing the right build and installing the right way requires the right and price and a ton of time.
That's going to bring a whole lot of fun to the build. I don't know enough about Hemi's (SBC guy) but with the 05 engine you will have the ability to build a performance engine and integrate it with a reprogrammed computer to run it. I have no suggestions on where to go but you need to be talking to the folks that can tell you the engine parameters ( cam, cubic inches, compression, etc.) that meets your needs and then the proper ECM programming that let's the performance loose.
The good news is with the proper guidance and ability to remove all the crap that reduces engine performance you will have a great truck while still using all the existing harnesses and accessories in your truck.

I'm old and past the build stage but will live vicariously through your build if you will post it on the forum. Until then, I'll keep driving the SBC stroker engined Avanti's I have in my garage.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G
Swapping an Eagle into a gen 3 truck is going to be a huge PITA, especially an '03-05. Not that it can't be done, but I'd go the build route.

Mopars have always been more expensive to build than Chevies and Fords, just some expectation management for you.
the conclusion has been made going the build route. is this truck capable of putting down 600-650hp rwhp or am I just living a fantasy?

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
G

the conclusion has been made going the build route. is this truck capable of putting down 600-650hp rwhp or am I just living a fantasy?
It just depends on how much you are willing to spend. You'll want a driveline that can handle that power in addition to the engine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just talked to a Mopar performance shop down the street, owner of the company said “there’s literally 2 options with wanting that kinda HP is a 6.4 swap with boost. Or he would look into rebuilding the 5.7 as long as the core is fine”

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ha! You assume that 5.7 is worn with 186k on it lol....I would call your attention to this man's truck that had over 250k with the original built up 5.7 before he rebuilt/stroked it:
chefred112
-fast freddie- one quick 05 hemi qc...with over 320k miles on odo... on the 5.7, stroker 6.4 now...Inertia Motorsports 392 stroker
5.7 e.t.'s: 1/8 - [email protected], 1/4 - [email protected] juice - 12.96 NA... 6.4 e.t. [email protected] NA
And he has a quad cab. So with an 05 you have one of the best PCM setups for custom tuning. What you need to decide is how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go. First warning: once you start getting too far north of 400hp that RFE (your trans) is gonna tell you to get [email protected] lol. Your options here are manual conversion, 46RH (A518) 4sp auto conversion (much stronger) or the vastly more expensive and while theoretically possible no one has done it yet, 8HP70 retrofit. Your 600-650hp goal is possible but will require building a stroker and boosting it (after you decide on a trans lol). The 5.7 is easily built into a forged stroker. As you can see, a big valve stock style head is capable of moving a fat ass quad cab down the track in the 12 sec range. He used the same heads on his stroker (don't remember what cam he chose, most likely one from Inertia since they built the engine) and the original intake manifold. You don't want to try and put a later 5.7 or 6.4 in because the next gen CAN bus control system won't integrate with your PCI bus truck (plus your electronics won't run VVT, an active intake or even recognize the different tooth count tone wheel), not to mention the front timing cover and subsequent accessory drive are totally different than what you have. The later eagle heads can be used on the 03-08 block and are good to 600hp naturally aspirated. If you upgrade to eagle, Thitek or Edelbrock heads (you can't use the 392/apache head on a 5.7 block) then your stock intake manifold will be the choke point, requiring an upgrade to either a factory manifold or the Edelbrock one. This in turn requires alteration of the front timing cover and accessory drive to move the alternator and AC compressor out of the way, which leads to electric fans, which leads to air intake changes, etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
Oh yeah, I guess most people are used to aluminum blocks too since they are more common and lighter and can be machined more precisely. Good news is that cast iron blocks last a long time, which is why nobody puts aluminum block engines in HD trucks, and all gen 3 Hemis are iron block mills unless you count some of the Mopar performance crate engines.

To add to what Magnoom said, the RFE transmission is rated to 410 lb-ft of input torque and there's not a hell of a lot you can do to make them stronger. The RH is an evolution of the old Torqueflites which are a staple in drag racing for a very good reason and can be built strong AF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’d like to start this from scratch. I daily drive my truck now so I would be starting from scratch ( bare block in the living room ) type of build. So I’ll be looking for a block what does vvt or non vtt mean ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay so here is the situation....

I recently purchased a 05 with the 5.7 pretty clean street truck (photo added) came with 186,400 miles, with that being said I know the end is coming for this motor so I'm weighing options. better yet what are the options? on top of it all I'm looking to get a few more horses other than 345hp to keep up with the local street trucks around here. clearly the new 19's come with 395hp so we're trying to catch up with the times here.

I've been talking and wondering around the fourms and it's all mixed answers. stroker kits, cam this rebuild that blah blah blah it's never a uncertian answer and here I am !

So where do I begin ? what options are out there ?
View attachment 129740
The end is near ? If they have taken care and kept oil clean and changed the 5.7 should be good for 500,000 miles or better my brother-in-law has a 2005 and he is pushing 247,000 miles but he does his maintenance and keeps fluids clean and topped and doesn't treat his truck to rough .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why not go to your local wrecking yard and get a 6.4L out of a Challenger or Charger and put it in with wiring harness and computer, then with a little tuning you've got a little over 500hp.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts