DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Thinking about ordering a new ram in the next month or so. Ive been looking for a while and know what I want but never have "ordered" a new one before. Always bought from lot. Anybody have any tips or suggestions when doing this? Anything would be great. And yes, there will be pics when I get it!

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Z, glad to have you aboard. You should also post in the newbie section found here. I ordered mine since I wanted specific things and it's hard to get everything from one on the lot. Even ordering however I was talked out of the 3.92 rear end, should not have listened to the salesman. He said to stick with the 3.55 for the best milage however after being on this forum alot of people are not finding any milage issues with the 3.92. Anyway just browse through the brochure and order it with the things you want. Mine took six painful weeks to get. Good luck and looking forward to the pics.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
3.92 is on my list for sure. Any advice on dealing with the saleman to get the best price?
Just go in there and haggle. It would be good to know what others are getting from that same dealership. I got mine on the Chrysler employee price so there was no negotiating on it. No I don't work for Chrysler but my Dad did :D

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
My salesman tried to talk me out of the lsd and 3.92 but man am I glad I have them. Do lots of reading and research and get exactly what you are looking for. Long story short I factory ordered mine but do to shipping issues and delays after waiting for 4 months I took something off the lot. I ended up with a truck with more options than what I had ordered and I am one happy camper with the extra options.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Start by making a list, not in any particular order
Engine, Color, Rear end Ratio, seat type, cab style, preferred tire size & wheel type, 2 or 4 wheel drive
Because i spend a load of time in my Ram, the RADIO type is Very important & there are many things to consider
Navigation radios- RHR & RHB, can be ordered with hands free calling, satellite, Smart phone connection, & premium sound system
NON NAV - RBZ, can be ordered with hands free calling, satellite, Smart phone connection, & premium sound system
There are 2 radios called RES, that are crap in my opinion, lousy sound & usually the rest of goodies can only be had at a EXTRA charge, everyone seems to be removing these RES radios for anything better

Then read this
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/have-it-your-way-custom-ordering-your-new-car.html

This article goes one step higher in new car buying advice
http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/car-buying.html

If you notice, both articles mention the Dealerships INTERNET SALES Department,
you don't need to deal with a normal sales person & their BS & high commission

Happy Hunting
Good Luck

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's a whole lot more enjoyable if you use the internet. Dealers are starting to expect it. I worked over the internet and in person with a salesperson. Using the internet and saving your e-mails saves a lot of confusion and gives you a lot more think time. Make sure you know the invoice price and the value of your vehicle if you plan a trade. The above links give great advice. When the dealing on truck I just ordered, I asked the general manager of the dealership to assign me a salesperson that knew more about Rams than I do. (I've had two.) Know what you want and don't let them talk you into something that you don't really want. Right now most dealers have a large inventory that they would like to move, but don't forget that they want to sell trucks period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered mine on Dec 10th, Got it around Jan 20th. I wanted a few special items like anti-slip rear, rambox, etc. on my Express. There are tons of discounts. It is pretty easy to get Friends of Family if you know anyone that worked for Dodge. There are lots of companies that joined Dodge's partnership program recently that give even better discounts according to my salesman. If you work for a large company, there is almost for sure a program. I ended up with Invoice plus $2500 cash back. I thought that was OK for ordering somthing special instead of picking off the lot. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did order the 3.55's and have been happy so far. I would have taken the 3.21's if they offered them in anti-spin but they don't. I drive 75 miles a day, 10 trips to the fishing cabin a year, and two trips to Florida a year, so MDS and MPG are pretty high on my list of needs. I don't tow or haul so the lower the gear the better for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
3.92 is on my list for sure. Any advice on dealing with the saleman to get the best price?
IMHO: In order to get the 'best' price, you will need to be diligent and check out several dealerships to see what their 'best' price is on a factory order.
I've been checking out the cost of ordering in a 2012 Ram Sport - I've called around to several dealerships.
Two of them told me to go buy the vehicle elsewhere if I could get it for said price.
One dealership originally quoted me $4,000 above the best price I found. Then, when I told them that I found the truck elsewhere, for a better price, they dropped their price $500 under my best price. Why they didn't do that in the first place...

Right now, I can factory order in a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport with the following options for $34,999.00 (includes $1500 freight). Taxes and GST extra. Oh... and I do not pay dealer prep fees (documentation fees).
MSRP is $51,340.00
-Sport hood, 3.92, LSD, 121L tank, hitch, brake controller, sprayed-in bedliner, remote start (OEM), side-steps, dual-zone climate control, back-up camera, back-up assist, 430 stereo (non-nav), rubber floor mats. Pretty much everything but leather seats and sunroof.

A dealer is more likely to move in his price if he knows you've been shopping around at other dealers. Tell them what you want in your truck, don't let them tell you what they think you should have in your truck!

I'm pretty sure my purchasing dealer will beat the $34,999 price offered to me by a different dealer. I'm not out nickel and dime these guys... I just want a good deal. Doesn't everybody?

Now... if I can only sell my 2011 Dodge Ram Sport!! LOL Just a little over 10,000 kms... Call me spoiled.

Cheers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Thinking about ordering a new ram in the next month or so. Ive been looking for a while and know what I want but never have "ordered" a new one before. Always bought from lot. Anybody have any tips or suggestions when doing this? Anything would be great. And yes, there will be pics when I get it!
Don't be afraid to travel if they won't give you what you want at local dealerships. Places like Texas or NC usually deal with huge volumes of trucks and typically come loaded, so if they're willing to bomb $6-8k more than a local dealer will, just keep in mind a one way plane ticket and a night at a hotel aren't that expensive haha. Plus what better way to enjoy the new truck than a road trip back home? Dealers can and will drop $12k or so off the sticker price as stated by BPD. I've had 3 Rams and each time they've given me a hell of a deal on them all. $12k off on my 07 in 07, $14k off on my 2011 BHCC at the end of 2010, then got a crazy turnaround on the Big Horn 2 months after buying it. I got the Big Horn for $27k out the door in early December, then the 2011 Sport I got in mid January, I negotiated the price from a $44k sticker down to $33k before mentioning my Big Horn that I was gonna trade in so they ended up giving me $36.5k trade in based on book value. Managed to leave that day with a loaded Sport and a check in my pocket lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats not a bad deal. I was able to get my Ram RT from a chrysler dealership for $27,500.00 Minus the Bed Liner, Rear Camera and Duel Climate Control.

So for the price I got Leather, Pwr Seats, Heated Mirrors, Hitch, and everything else like the UConnect and Sat Radio.

So good hunting and deff stick to your guns with what you want. There are good deals out there!

Good Luck

P.S. Pictures to come this weekend :smileup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts