DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered about a month ago a new 2022 Ram 3500 6.7 diesel 4x4 6'4 bed with the 6.7 SO 68RFE when I ordered I had another truck I was worried about reselling which was a 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel so I was being careful not to spend to much money because worried about selling my other truck so I went with the 6.7 diesel SO with the 68RFE

Here is what I use my truck for I don't drive much around town I use it 85-90% of the time to pull my 28 ft 10,000 lb (GVWR) fifth wheel camper and a 18 ft. boat if I sold my 5th wheel and bought a new one I would never go much bigger maybe a 1 foot at the most we do alot of BLM and mountain forest campgrounds and we have trouble getting our current 5th wheel camper in them as it is so if I bought a new 5th wheel I would never go more than a 29ft and same slide outs and approx. same weight. I never tow anything heavier than my fifth wheel NO HOTSHOTS NO NOTHING !

My 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel worked great for everything I needed it was hard to go up some inclines we live in Utah so some grades it was little slow getting up them but the truck did everything I needed the only reason I wanted a new one is mine was 20 years old and starting to have some problems and thought time for a new truck

I just sold my Truck got good money for it and started researching the 6.7 SO 68RFE VS 6.7 HO AISIN and thought maybe I should go ahead with the HO so I contacted where we ordered and I cannot change the order I would have to cancel order and start the waiting period all over again. My ordered is not even scheduled yet so I figured I might be able to change it but they will not let me.

My questions is for what I am towing do I really need the HO, will the 6.7 SO 68RFE be better than my old 7.3 diesel and do everything I need it to ? Another concern is MPG I want the best MPG possible I have tried researching MPG 6.7 SO 68RFE 3.73 axle VS 6.7 HO AISIN 3.73 axle their really isn't much on MPG I want the best MPG will the SO give me better MPG ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can't speak to the newer 6.7's but I kind of wished my 6.7HO was teamed up with the 3.73 rear end. I pull a 30' 5th wheel that scales around 9500# loaded. I pulled it from CA to AR via I40, then back to CA from I80. Plenty of long hill climbs and the truck pulled it up at 65mph in 5th gear without sweating. I think the 3.73 would have been a better fit to a 2500 based on what the pin weight would limit the trailer size to be.
I personally think the stock tuned 6.7 with a stock tuned 68RFE and 3.73 gear would pull the size of trailer you are talking about, without any pause or issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts