DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my dealer to order. On Wednesday the cost of options went up $450. Now today the Etorque engine option went from $1,995 to $2,645, urge.

Wondering if the Etorque engine is worth it and if we will have to be concerned about battery replacement and the associated cost. Thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
E-torque batteries have a 10 year warranty.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Went to my dealer to order. On Wednesday the cost of options went up $450. Now today the Etorque engine option went from $1,995 to $2,645, urge.

Wondering if the Etorque engine is worth it and if we will have to be concerned about battery replacement and the associated cost. Thoughts are appreciated.
Keep in mind that trucks with eTorque also come with start/stop...

I decided against it since I despise the "feature", but some people like it.

I'm sure some will come out with pick reprogramming packs in the future to disable this, but it's not something I want to mess (or spend money on) with.

Neurobit

·
Registered
247 Posts
Keep in mind that trucks with eTorque also come with start/stop...

I decided against it since I despise the "feature", but some people like it.

I'm sure some will come out with pick reprogramming packs in the future to disable this, but it's not something I want to mess (or spend money on) with.

Neurobit

I eaaaaase my hand over to turn it off in my wife's Mercedes whenever she decides she wants to drive for us....like once every purple moon. She sees my hand easing over and says....."leave my stuff alone." I'm trying to turn that auto start/stop off. I absolutely hate it. It's truly the reason why I didn't wait to order eTorque as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Every single person that I know that has it hates it, even the people that drive cars that have them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only concern about the eTorque would be overall reliability, not battery replacement and associated costs. We have been hearing warnings about "battery replacements" from the-sky-is-falling alarmist shrills for ~15 years now ever since the 2nd gen Prius blew up in popularity. Yet miraculously we have yet to hear of any major wide spread battery issues from any hybrid from any brand all these years later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The mild hybridness of the system should theoretically make the transition more seamless, but who knows until you actually drive it. All automakers claim their system is seamless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just can't believe how the pricing on the portal is constantly changing. A $650 increase on the Etorque is very high. My dealer will absorb it because it took place mid negotiation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hear the start/stop is seamless, not like on my 2016 pilot, which is aweful.
It’s subjective. BMW and MB calls theirs seamless too. Is it bad? No. I don’t know how to explain it. I just don’t like it. I’ve had it on 3 cars. I haven’t found one vehicle where u can turn the engine off and on without feeling it somehow. Some sort of vibration or shake or sound from the engine. I just don’t like it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I dislike stop/start; 2015 was the last year for V6 Durangos without it, which is one reason I'm so glad I have one. My mom got a 2017 with it and my dad hates it too, so every time he drives it he hits the disable button. My mom doesn't mind it and she's the only person I've met for whom that is the case. If I had it I'd buy an OBD module to disable it-that would be worth the expense to me.

My interest in Etorque isn't the fuel efficiency-that would really only impact city mileage and fuel efficiency in a truck best translates to additional towing range. My interest is in fattening up the bottom end of the torque curve and smoothing out MDS engagement, though if Neurobit is to be believed its already improved on the 2019s without etorque to the point you can't tell its there.

I know people say durability is a concern for them; but in reality I've had my truck for 5 years and most of the members who were on this site when I bought my truck and still post now are on their 2nd or 3rd Ram in that time. So I'm not sure its really as much of an issue as some seem to think because I don't think a lot of people keep their trucks that long

·
Registered
301 Posts
I dislike stop/start; 2015 was the last year for V6 Durangos without it, which is one reason I'm so glad I have one. My mom got a 2017 with it and my dad hates it too, so every time he drives it he hits the disable button. My mom doesn't mind it and she's the only person I've met for whom that is the case. If I had it I'd buy an OBD module to disable it-that would be worth the expense to me.

My interest in Etorque isn't the fuel efficiency-that would really only impact city mileage and fuel efficiency in a truck best translates to additional towing range. My interest is in fattening up the bottom end of the torque curve and smoothing out MDS engagement, though if Neurobit is to be believed its already improved on the 2019s without etorque to the point you can't tell its there.

I know people say durability is a concern for them; but in reality I've had my truck for 5 years and most of the members who were on this site when I bought my truck and still post now are on their 2nd or 3rd Ram in that time. So I'm not sure its really as much of an issue as some seem to think because I don't think a lot of people keep their trucks that long
Good points. Regarding MDS, I wish I knew what to look for. I still don’t know when it comes on or goes off.

Thanks,
Neurobit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts