DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2014 2500 6.4l has a low end rod or wrist pin knock according to the local Ram dealer and my truck was out of the 5 year warranty by 2 days when i called the warranty customer service and was told they would not do anything for me. The truck only has 62000mi. The dealership is saying that they usually replace the long block in this situation. Is it possible to rebuild the motor if i can figure out which rod it is if it is the wrist pin or am i stuck putting a junkyard motor or dropping the major expense of a factory long block. Im very disappointed in Ram right now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I feel your pain...A few years back a had to put a Chrysler long block in my 08 Dakota. From start to finish it cost me $7000.00. Warranty on motor was 3yrs--100,000 miles. I kept it for the 3 years then traded in for new truck... Long story short if I had to do it over I'd have traded it in as it for a new truck, like the one I have now....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So my 2014 2500 6.4l has a low end rod or wrist pin knock according to the local Ram dealer and my truck was out of the 5 year warranty by 2 days when i called the warranty customer service and was told they would not do anything for me. The truck only has 62000mi. The dealership is saying that they usually replace the long block in this situation. Is it possible to rebuild the motor if i can figure out which rod it is if it is the wrist pin or am i stuck putting a junkyard motor or dropping the major expense of a factory long block. Im very disappointed in Ram right now.
I would think you could confirm wrist pin knock by dropping the oil pan....if that can be done without removing the engine, it could save a lot of time to make sure thats the actual issue.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Alot of times wrist pin noise can be also determined by killing the cylinders - not always but often.
Could also hide a rod knock too.

Wrist pin knock might not be a big deal unless it changes drastically, engines can go for 100,000 miles with a wrist pin knock.

Sometimes changing oil to a heavier or lighter oil can help tell which it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The wrist pin or rod bearing did not fail in the 2 days since the warranty expired. I would have called up the chain of command until I got some relief or I had CEO on the phone. That is pure BS. A decent dealer would have backed the paper up a week and took care of his customer. You must be dealing with a stealership instead of a dealership I would drive 500 miles to buy a spark plug in order not to give a penny of my money. There would not be a single ear I could bend that would not know how hen house that stealership is. FYI I own the same truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts