DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Overheating Issue.

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MoldyTaco 
#1 ·
I don't have this problem all the time. But here's the story of whats happening. First off running around town and highway driving my temp runs about half most of the time. Once in a while it will move up about a needle or two over half. Now last October I went to Vegas from central California. Anyone who has made this drive know about the Baker, CA pass. Those who don't, well its a strong incline for about 20 miles. It has been known to cause overheating problems for many of cars and trucks. Well about half way through my truck start getting hot. I had to slow down and turn the heater on to keep it cool. Its not as bad of an incline on the back from Vegas but I had the same problem. I did have a bed full of equipment both ways. If I had to guess I would say that it weight about 400 lbs at most. It did not even change the ride height, it weighted so little. In February I made a 600 mile trip to northern California and I had absolutely no problems. So my question is; is it normal to reach such high temps with steep mountain grades in these trucks or could something be wrong. The sad part of this trip to Vegas was that I would being passed by Ford and Chevy trucks like I was standing still. Thanks for all help in advance.

#2 ·
Well it all depends on what the outside temp plus how much 50/50 cooliant is their then Pure water. You have to remember that radiator fluid brings up the boiling point of the water. Besides that I live in miami and It's a little hard to say its the same. I would recommand a Electric Fan upgrade with Temp/Fan Controller or if you want to keep your Clutch Fan set up then just get a lower Temperature 180 Degree thermostat it helps lots in performance and Cooling. I did it on mine and it's amazing
it's always below 189 degrees on WOT and hot demand conditions. Also make sure your radiator Core is clean there is sand always in between the fins and you can't see it unless you wash it. There a Liquid that you can buy at home depot to clean cores of Home Air conditioners outside that you can use it does wonders to the fin and get them looking and working brand new also radiator repair shop use them.

#3 ·
Thank you. I will look into the 180 degree T-Stat and that cleaner. How hard is it to get to the T-Stat to change it? I am making the trip to Vegas again at the end of the month and do not want to deal with the same problem. I think it is a 50/50 mix or maybe a little more water than coolant.

#4 ·
A good radiator flush would not hurt either
Check your hoses, if you squeeze the upper & lower radiator hoses between your thumb & finger & feel a crunching sensation, your hoses need replacing & if they are 4 years old, do it anyway
Then replacing your thermostat with a good one, the best ones stick open when they go bad, the old models stick closed & then you could even crack your heads when that happens.

If you change your hoses, change the fan belt too

I drive the I-15 from San Diego, up through Cajon Pass, Barstow & into Primm quite often, i always watch my temp gauge going up that grade, who wants to over heat at a ramp called Zzyxz Road, just a few miles from Death Valley

#7 · (Edited)
I know what you mean, however if you take that exit there is some of the worlds greatest hot springs about 10 miles out. Of course the only towing company in the area charges super high rates cause they know you have no other choice.

#5 ·
Changing the T-Stat is not hard at all. Basically drain and flush real good your coolant from your block and cooling system and remove the two screws from the T-Stat housing and Replace it with the new one. It brings the Gasket ring already installed on the T-Stat so no Gasket maker is needed. make sure you check hoses and the water pump and heater hoses and fill with the correct Coolant. I usually go with 50/50 and a whole pure radiator fluid it up to you. Good luck

#6 ·
A new problem has developed. I was checking all fluids 2 days ago and went to another town about 10 miles away. When I got home a bunch of steam was coming out for under the hood. Then I heard liquid being dumped out on the ground. I turned off my truck and pop the hood. When I got out I saw coolant all over the ground. I turn the key on and the temp showed halfway between half and max. I checked the radiator cap and it was loose. I waited a few hours and fill the resevor with water just above the full line. Next day I went to work with no problems until I started home. It got so hot that I had to pull over and wait for it to cool down. Its only 5 miles from work to home. I figure that it had an air bubble. However the next day I started it up with radiator cap off to get the air bubble out but after ten minutes the temp didn't move from cold. I went to work today and again no problem until I started home. It didn't heat up as bad but it did reach the halfway point between half and max again. What is weird is it seems to cool down when sitting a stoplight in traffic and gets hotter when driving. Usually its the opposite. What the heck is going on? I am think about going down and having the cooling system checked tomorrow (Thursday). What do you guys think?

#9 ·
I would do a pressure check. If you're overheating on load, that makes me want to lean towards warped head/blown gasket.

Pressure test first, then hoses and thermostat, after a good flush and clean. Go with the cheapest repairs first.

I would also check your oil for foaming. You can also sniff your reservoir to see if there's any exhaust smell in the coolant.

#10 · (Edited)
Ok the most recent problem is fixed. I was just low on coolant after that radiator cap problem. I had a pressure test done and according to the Dealer everything is great. I am going to install a 180 degree t stat this weekend. Also I want to install a E-Fan but I am have trouble finding info about fan options. If anyone has info about the options and if there are any how to's out there. Please let me know. Thank you

BTW- No foaming in the oil and no exhaust smell in the coolant.

#11 ·
180 stat is not going to make it run cooler..............

If its summer U should run more water them coolant, like 70 water 30 coolant

A back flush of the rad from engine to grill (garden hose) will wash the bugs dirt out of the fins.

Can type for days on what POOR maintenance causes problems...............

#12 ·
Well the new 180 t-stat is in and went ahead and replaced the hoses too. I can't believe the difference. It is reading halfway between cold and half. I also added lucas oil super coolant too. After I get back for Vegas in two week I am going to look into putting a efan on too. If anyone has or know where I can get a how to for the e fan on a 3rd 4.7L let me know. I searched but all I have found has been for the Hemi. Thank you everyone for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.