DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short...05 1500 quad cab
noticed a tiny bit of moisture several months ago in the oil cap but wiped it off and never saw it again...skip ahead to 3 weeks ago...blown heater core af in passenger side floor and overheated it trying to limp it home...
Replaced the heater core...everything was good for about 2 weeks when i finally had to get it to highway speeds...been running fine until then. less then 10 miles at 65mph it overheats again...limp it home...replaced t-stat fan clutch pulled the water pump (good)...finally replaced the radiator on mechanic friends advice...still overheating...no white smoke no water/oil mix...my only thought would be exaust fumes into coolant system. Your thoughts.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Have you pressure tested it? Sounds like you're just not getting enough flow. Possibly not burped well and there's an air pocket. Does it over heat with the heater on and off? How's the level when you open the radiator cap?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you pressure tested it? Sounds like you're just not getting enough flow. Possibly not burped well and there's an air pocket. Does it over heat with the heater on and off? How's the level when you open the radiator cap?

Great advice.

I have also seen this happen when people "think" they have cleaned the old coolant from the line properly and add a different type of coolant. The mixture of coolants can coagulate and tend to clog up small waterways, heater cores and the like.

More than likely its just an air pocket. But pressure testing the system is your best measure of narrowing down to determine the actual issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts