DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck was overheating so i went ahead and and spent some money. Replaced rad, water pump, thermostat. While the water pump was off, blew out the water jackets and heater core with compressed air. Refilled system and ran it with the heat on. Now temp fluctuates. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Has your level in surge tank or radiator changed? It could be anything still from a bad thermostat (even though it's new) to a head gasket (change in level ) to just a bad temperature sending unit. Have someone with an external temperature guage check temperature at heads and thermostat housing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking its not a head gasket only because the oil doesnt look contaminated. I could try another thermostat. The level in the surge tank seems to stay the same.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well I have had them blow on outside of head. Not always do they blow in cylinder. You can see the calcification on block below the head. That's why I ask,of level change. But if that's not the issue. I would move on to thermostat. And also the sensor. That's where an external laser thermometer comes in handy. You can see when and if it opens in warm up. Then watch the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts