DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace a downstream oxygen sensor in my Ram because I've been getting a P0158 code that's come back a few times after being reset. My question is what is the correct wrench/socket size for this sensor? I had a 7/8" combination wrench and a 7/8" oxygen sensor socket on the sensor over the weekend and I wasn't thrilled with the fit of either one. I want to ensure I'm using the right size tool before I apply a bunch of torque.

I shot the sensor with some PB Blaster, and am planning on using more PB Blaster and some leverage (Harbor Freight 2' long 1/2" breaker bar or Harbor Freight 1/2" torque wrench - depends on clearance) to get this one off. If I use the 7/8" oxygen sensor socket I'm planning to use some hose clamps to keep the socket from opening up as I apply torque. If that doesn't work, plan B will be cutting the 02 sensor (likely original and the truck has 144K) with a Dremel and then using a regular impact socket. Plan C will be to pick up an oxy/acetylene torch and heat up the O2 sensor bung (not the sensor itself).

I just want to make sure I don't want to round of the edges of the sensor on the first step and make things more difficult for myself!

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I changed my sensor a couple weeks ago and just used a 22mm open end wrench. It came right out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.