DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1500 4X4 with a 5.9 gas motor. I love the truck. the engine light has been on since I got it about a year ago. Its the p0 601 .means the computer is broke and needs to be replaced from what Ive read so far but then there are no symptoms other then the engine light is on . that is strange!! can any body explain this to me. we dont have inspections in florida so that don't make any diference here but I have a problem now with it but dont think it has anything to do with that .
I picked up a car 5 hrs away with my trailer. its just a open trailer and the truck handles it no prob .but when I got off the turnpike almost back home , it acted like slugish .like there was not enough fuel .I unloaded the car at my shop and checked the codes .that was the only one. unhooked the trailer and still was very bad. this morning it is fine ,no prob all day. I am gonna check the fuel pressure tommorow but still unsure.
but whats up with that code if you need to change the ecu just to turn off the light. the computer must work fine if it runs good ? I dont get it?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Have you tried resetting it? You can do it with a scanner, or just disconnect the battery for about 15 min. See if it comes back. Meantime, one of the techs should be able to give you some better options if that don't work. Good luck

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
P0601 is an internal failure and it's a one step diagnosis. Replace the PCM. You may not have symptoms now but it could eventually leave you on the side of the road.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Here's what I found out about that particular DTC code:

P0601 = Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error

Causes

A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

Possible Solutions

With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed (we recommend you take it to a dealership for this). The good news is it *may* be covered under your emissions warranty. So even if you're out of bumper-to-bumper warranty or powertrain warranty, check your warranty guide or dealer to see if this is covered.

Other people have reported that they cleared the code only for it to return again and again. Keep in mind that most shops can replace the PCM but not all can program it.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
A P0601 is an internal failure with a one step diagnosis - replace the PCM. It may or may not be related to the problem you have now and it could potentially leave you stranded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found a place in south florida that will fix my comp for $125 . they do an exchange type deal for about 225 and they program all your info so its plug and play. i found them on ebay
.still stinks cause I have a prob that that wont fix but I have to fix it just to shut off the light

E

·
0 Posts
Yup...when it sets that code it's an indication that internally it has a circuit failure and eventually, other circuits will fail. As RamTech said, one day without warning it will leave you dead on the side of the road.

You can try an exchange. I expect they wanted your VIN, correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep
but im thinking that if there is a short circut that will leave me on the side of the road then that could happen wether or not this prob is in there or not

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not that I dont want to fix it , it just seems strange ,if the light were burned out ,I might go 200,000 miles and never know . I just want to understand what is wrong. i guess the short circut is in the part that turns the light on?

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The 'short circuit' is definitely NOT the circuit that turns on the light. If it was, it would not through the code. The light is on to tell you that the computer has a message for you.

You can second guess this all you want, but in the end it's like going to your doctor, and having him tell you (turn light on) that you have something wrong with you (P0601), and if act know, they can save you.....but if you don't, it could kill you in anywhere from 1 day to 20 years.....but it will! What do you do.....especially if you feel just fine....or better yet....how about if you feel Great! :smileup:

Ultimately, the choice is yours, but as has been pointed out above, it WILL leave you stranded sometime....might be in your driveway.....might not..... :4-dontknow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts