DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hey i'm new here and was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and sucessfully fixed it. Iv'e had the check engine light on and off for a good 6 months, this week was the worst, cause i actually thought the tranny was slipping. After driving to the beach, about an hour of driving, i noticed at low rpm, high torque there was some slipping, verry fast jerks, but quickly recovered, and then another fast jerk, and so on. but i think it was actually missfiring, or thats what i want to belive. The check engine light came on when i was going home, during hard acceleration onto the highway, the truck had no balls, then the light started flashing, and instantly went into the powerband, it had some serious balls then. Ive shut the light off a few times with my code reader, and each time it has come on with this same hard accelleration onto the highway. P0308, cylander 8 missfire. Ive seen some threads about a broken valve spring, and ones about cleaning the MAF. Ive also seen the same shit about mechanics replacing the low hanging fruit and it hasn't cured the problem. (fuel injector, coil pack, plugs) Ive got 70K and do need a tune up, but i know this will not correct the problem, due to the number of threads ive seen where it hasn't. Anyone with this same problem? :wavey:

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I'm not the first and won't be the last to ask ~ How about posting a few photos of your truck? I'm here to help you navigate the site. Looks like you've been to the Newbie Checkin but didn't start your own thread. I'll try to get that fixed for you.

As for the engine issue, I don't have an answer but someone will.
:Hey:

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
I don't believe your engine has a MAF (mass airflow sensor), I believe it is a MAP system (manifold absolute pressure).

It could be a coil, I think you could take that coil in and have it tested, also could try changing the plugs just to rule it out. Hopefully it's not the ecm, however I've seen on other vehicles similar symptoms with a misfire code and it was the ecm...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, ur right, no maf, im troubbleshooting my wifes maxima, thats her problem. I'll try the low hanging fruit, has anybody have a valve spring break? and if so what were the symptoms.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Id say definitely not valve spring issue as you say at certain times it runs with "alot of balls"....if it was a valve spring broken it would run poorly all the time, if it'd run at all....It sounds electronic to me...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:i_rolleyes::4-dontknow::smiledown::shy:i agree, the truck should run verry poorly, but iv'e got it in my head because i read a thread, now i can't find it, about the valve springs being doubble honeycomb or doubble row, something which saved the truck. I really need someone with a broken spring issue to respond, just to get the thought out of my head. I'll swap plugs and coil packs tomorrow, just to see if the problem follows. Hopefully it is something simple:SHOCKED::Hey::shy2::Wow1:
:LOL::att::att::str::smiley_thumbs_up:smileys all around

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Try googling the code and seeing what are common fixes....I do kinda see how if the spring was a double spring (means there's an inner and outer spring) it could still operate, however I would think it'd run worse at high rpm due to not having the required spring pressure...I'd think the valve would float with only half the spring....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem ware my light will come on and blink but mine will go out I still havnt been able to get the code but im changing my plugs and hopefully that will cure this problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved

Thanx guys for all the good info, shoud have gone for the low hanging fruit. Turns out, i swapped coil packs, and the problem followed. Now i have a P306 cylander 6 missfire. Ordered a new coil pack on ebay 28 bucks free shipping. Is this a common problem? should i try aftermarket coils?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts