DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for help or similar stories. Got a gas cap light one day in my 2016 2500 6.4, pretty randomly i might say, tightened the cap and waited for engine cycles to reset light which eventually threw a cel for P0455. Bought a new gas cap, reset all codes. Then after multiple tank fills they both came back. Wondering if fuel pressure sensor in the filler tube might be the culprit. From what I could tell all hoses on evap looked good. Does anybody have a similar experience. Truck is under warranty still but if I can swap a $30 sensor on my own versus leaving my truck in the shop for a week I would prefer that. Thanks!

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I found that fuel sensor related issues can be really tough to track down, even for the dealership. Recently I had P0456 on my 2017 5.7 Hemi. They replaced the EVAP canister, along with the tubes and hoses that go along with it. That fix didn't last long and the same code came back. They then dropped the gas tank and replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor (FTP). It had a pinhole leak which was causing the code.

So even though we don't have the same exact code, I'm betting yours is something similar, maybe in the filler neck as you said. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I would find a dealership that will perform a SMOKE TEST on the whole EVAP System

Smoke will show any leak besides the gas cap, which has to be off while performing the test
It will show all leaks, major & minor

Gas cap comes under Minor Leaks

This is a common problem with newer Rams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7EV4BuhUco

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update. After a smoke test and a tank drop dealer found a vent tube on top of the tank that had been chewed through apparently. Also, not covered under lifetime warranty. $180 because of some varmen.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Quick update. After a smoke test and a tank drop dealer found a vent tube on top of the tank that had been chewed through apparently. Also, not covered under lifetime warranty. $180 because of some varmen.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they got you squared away. $180 ain't bad, sounds like you only had to pay for parts then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts