DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Earlier today I was driving down the highway at about 65mph. Suddenly I heard a soft thud underneath the hood and immediately my check engine light came on and my RPMs went up from about 1500 to a little over 2000. I brought my speed down to about 55 until I exited onto the city streets... Taking off from red lights I felt a significant loss in acceleration and power.

Soon after this happened I went to Autozone and received these codes: P0700, P0750 (Read Fault Memory of Control Unit ETC & Shift Solenoid A).

So, I've heard from different people and heard that a simple tune up or spark plug replacement would fix the problem and I've also heard that taking my truck to places like Aamco where they'd "clear the codes" (whatever that means) would also fix the problem rather than replacing the Solenoids.

I'd like to know how I can fix this problem without having to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

(Side notes: oil changes are up to date, recently replaced fuel pump, in recent weeks I noticed a tiny bit of play in my RPM needle while in idle)

Any help or advice is welcome and thanks for reading!

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton 2WD 4.7L

Edit:

alright so I've learned alot in the past few hours and have decided it's probably best to just replace the solenoid(s) that these codes are showing as defective.

I've read several threads concerning the same issue but with different vehicle models.

Can someone give me some insight as to how to replace the solenoid or solenoids p0750, specifically, on a 2006 dodge ram 1500 4.7L auto?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
These are transmission codes, spark plug change will not help you. Clearing the code doesn't fix the problem. If you are decently mechanically handy you can replace your solenoid(s). I may be overlooking something and I'm sure transengineer will chime in soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to think I'm decently mechanically handy. Let's see if I can track down the infamous transengineer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to think I'm decently mechanically handy. Let's see if I can track down the infamous transengineer.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Replacing the solenoid module is pretty easy. Drop the trans oil pan. Remove sump filter. Disconnect main electrical harness. Drop the valve body assembly. Remove solenoid module from top of valve body, bolt on new solenoid. Reinstall everything. Refill with fluid.

But note that P0750 can also be caused by a bad wiring connection, so I would check the wiring before blowing $$$ on a new solenoid module.

Also make sure the shifter is in PARK when you drop the VB, and then make SURE the sliding code plate (on top of the VB) is in PARK when you go to reinstall the VB. The Park position is where the code plate is all the way REARWARD (where the vertical arm on the code plate butts up against the roller on the detent spring). The slot on the top of that vertical arm MUST properly engage the pin on the manual lever (inside the trans) as you bolt the valve body assy back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much TransEngineer. A couple days ago I was able to repair this problem myself with a brand new solenoid module. It cost me about $500 from a local parts store. I followed your directions and after a few struggles I was able to figure it all out on my own. Everything runs like new. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Thank you so much TransEngineer. A couple days ago I was able to repair this problem myself with a brand new solenoid module. It cost me about $500 from a local parts store. I followed your directions and after a few struggles I was able to figure it all out on my own. Everything runs like new. Problem solved.
Great! Glad you got it taken care of!

Happy New Year!

·
Banned
4 Posts
My check motor light went ahead. Also, truck appeared to be beginning in drive.got them 2 codes ..cleaned my battery links now everything is good..Should I feel free to supplant the move solenoid to be sheltered appear not to move as solid as for the most part.
Kodi Lucky Patcher nox

1 - 9 of 9 Posts