DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I bought my first Ram yesterday and after a mere 22 hours of ownership, the CEL comes on!

The deets: 2013 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi. 188k body miles, 70k trans miles, 45k engine miles.

I haven't had a chance to check the transmission fluid yet, it's cold and rainy and this thing doesn't fit in my garage.

If the truck is running fine, I'm thinking it's maybe just low trans fluid, but I'm seeing a lot of posts about TCC Solenoid replacement. Every post I have read thus far also indicates obvious malfunction in the vehicle, and as far as I can tell, mine is shifting correctly, no odd noises, etc.

Anyone have any insight? :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Here is a link that will tell you about the Po740 OBDII code:

What the P0740 code means
What the P0740 code means is that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected something unusual within the torque converter clutch circuit. The powertrain control module can vary the application of the torque converter clutch for optimal vehicle performance. If the torque converter clutch application is abnormal (usually multiple times) the powertrain control module will trigger a Check Engine Light.
What are the causes of the P0740 code?
Some potential causes of the P0740 code may include:
  • A faulty torque converter clutch solenoid
  • A damaged torque converter or clutch
  • Incorrect transmission fluid level
  • Skipping over transmission maintenance
  • A restriction within the transmission
  • Internal transmission damage
  • A faulty powertrain control module or transmission module
What are the symptoms of the P0740 code?
Symptoms of a P0740 code that the driver may experience would include:
  • The transmission not shifting in or out of a particular gear
  • The transmission may shift harshly
  • The torque converter clutch may not engage or disengage causing the vehicle not to move
  • The engine may stall
  • The transmission could overheat

·
Registered
2011 1500 Laramie 4x4 - SRT 392 swapped
92 Posts
P0740 is an electrical fault in the Torque Converter Lockup solenoid. Check the electrical connections going to the trans for any damage, and if there isn't any be prepared to replace the solenoid pack, which requires dropping the trans pan.

The symptoms you'd see are high RPMs at cruising speeds, and bad fuel economy as a result. Aside from that, the truck should drive just fine, and will be reliable. I've had a P0740 code on my truck for months now and have just been driving on it because I'm setting up to do some other work to the trans while I'm dropping the pan (and losing fluid) anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0740 is an electrical fault in the Torque Converter Lockup solenoid. Check the electrical connections going to the trans for any damage, and if there isn't any be prepared to replace the solenoid pack, which requires dropping the trans pan.

The symptoms you'd see are high RPMs at cruising speeds, and bad fuel economy as a result. Aside from that, the truck should drive just fine, and will be reliable. I've had a P0740 code on my truck for months now and have just been driving on it because I'm setting up to do some other work to the trans while I'm dropping the pan (and losing fluid) anyway.
Thanks!

My confusion is that it's not running high RPMs at all. It popped again for the second time this morning and I had just been driving about 50mph cruising at around 1400rpm maybe a little under. My fuel economy is also averaging 17mpg so not bad.

I'll check out that wiring harness tonight too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!

My confusion is that it's not running high RPMs at all. It popped again for the second time this morning and I had just been driving about 50mph cruising at around 1400rpm maybe a little under. My fuel economy is also averaging 17mpg so not bad.

I'll check out that wiring harness tonight too!
Did you end up finding a solution? I have essentially the same situation as you.

cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts