DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am now at 101540 miles on my truck. CEL light came on partway through a 300 mile trip. Took it easy on truck after checking fluid levels until I got home. No amateur detectable problems, other than light. Called dealer, they wanted $135.00 to tell me what the problem is and remind me it is not covered by warranty. I read that P0740 is TC related so called shop I have used in past for other vehicles. Owner is NHRA retired crew chief. He wants to replace the whole trany for 3800.00. Says too much power to rely on rebuilt TC and pump. Ow! Anyone with experience? TransEngineer retired? I have other vehicles so not stranded, just hurts mentally to keep up with payments and not be able t enjoy my RAM!https://www.ramforumz.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

·
Registered
136 Posts
That code is for the torque convertor clutch circuit. It's a solenoid that locks the torque convertor after about 40 mph to save gas and produce less heat from the torque convertor slipping at highway speeds. Find another mechanic. It's a simple thing to check the circuit or replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
That code is for the torque convertor clutch circuit. It's a solenoid that locks the torque convertor after about 40 mph to save gas and produce less heat from the torque convertor slipping at highway speeds. Find another mechanic. It's a simple thing to check the circuit or replace the solenoid.
Actually, P0740 is usually caused by either a worn TCC control valve bore (in the pump assy), or a bad converter (failed TCC or bad seal internally). The solenoid is almost never the problem (and if it were, you'd likely get a P0841 or P0750 code).

Unfortunately, to replace either the converter or the pump, you have to pull the trans. So the typical repair is to pull the trans and replace both.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TransEngineer. I went in search of having my tranny replaced, went out one morning to take the truck in and to my amazement, NO CODE. I drove it a few miles, turned it off and restarted it and did not show "service engine" light. No codes per my code reader. I have put maybe 500 miles on it including pulling a trailer in Tow Mode and no light or codes. Should I hope to never see the code again or go ahead and have the trans replaced? Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
TransEngineer. I went in search of having my tranny replaced, went out one morning to take the truck in and to my amazement, NO CODE. I drove it a few miles, turned it off and restarted it and did not show "service engine" light. No codes per my code reader. I have put maybe 500 miles on it including pulling a trailer in Tow Mode and no light or codes. Should I hope to never see the code again or go ahead and have the trans replaced? Thank you for your thoughts.
Personally, I'd say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts