DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this truck since the end of 2017.
Shortly after purchase the a Check engine light appeared, P1004 Short running valve. Dodge technicians ended up replacing the intake manifold.

Shortly after, the same code appeared again, I took it back and the techs then replaced the intake actuator.

After 2 days the light came on again with the same code, took it back to the dealership and they replaced or installed capacitors.

On the journey home from the dealership the CEL repapered again. I took it right back and it scanned as another P1004 issue.

I'm due to take it back to the shop today.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't have any experience with that code but sounds like the dealer doesn't either cause they just keep putting new parts on.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
P1004 DODGE - Short Runner Valve Control Performance
Possible causes
Faulty short runner valve assembly
Short runner valve harness is open or shorted
Short runner valve circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

The P1004 code is detected when the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

P1004 Dodge Description The Short Runner Valve (SRV) system is used to improve engine performance. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to calibrated closed range when the circuit is deenergized or to a calibrated open range when the circuit is energized.

Read more: https://www.engine-codes.com/p1004_dodge.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
This was an ongoing problem with my 2013. Had it in the shop a multiple times and they downloaded some updates to the software. Worked great for awhile and then the code kept coming back. Seemed in warm weather it was fine but then popped on again in real cold temps. The code does not cause any drivability problems but got to be a real pain. I was going to take it in one more time then didn't bother because I had my 2017 on order. Figured it's they're problem now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was an ongoing problem with my 2013. Had it in the shop a multiple times and they downloaded some updates to the software. Worked great for awhile and then the code kept coming back. Seemed in warm weather it was fine but then popped on again in real cold temps. The code does not cause any drivability problems but got to be a real pain. I was going to take it in one more time then didn't bother because I had my 2017 on order. Figured it's they're problem now.

I've had it back from the shop for 48hrs now and the light hasn't reappeared. But, I'm still skeptical! This time they replaced the PCM and revised all the electrical connections, I think by now they have exhausted all options, so I'm hoping this does the job. Good luck with your 2017!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this code come up multiple times on my 2013 Ram 1500. I had recently installed a new cold air intake and dual exhaust. I figured it possibly had something to do with that so I checked the intake and noticed the filter had become detached. I put it back on and the code eventually went away. Same thing has happened two more times with same fix. Finally I tightened the filter with an impact wrench and haven't had an issue until today the light came on so I popped the hood expecting same issue but everything looks in good working order. So not sure what the issue will be this time. I will report back hopefully not after I spend a ton of money!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts