DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has a 2001 Dodge Truck RAM 1500 1/2 ton 4WD 5.2L SFI 8cyl (at least that's what it says on AutoZone) that is throwing a 1391 code. I understand that means there's no communication between the CAM Sensor & the Crankshaft position Sensor. We have been advised to check the wiring between the two, but to do that we need a wiring diagram. I'm here to find out where I can get a wiring diagram for him!

Any Suggestions? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have the factory manual for a 2001 dakota, the wiring should be very similar I would think.
Chances are you have a bad splice on either the ground which should be a black with blue tracer wire or on the 5V feed which should be an orange wire.
Location of the splices might not be the same between the ram and dakota though but the rest of the wiring should be similar if not identical.

Crank sensor

Sensor signal wire - is GY/BK wire goes from PCM to crank sensor no splices -- GY/BK = grey w/black tracer
Sensor ground is - BK/LB wire goes from PCM to splice to crank sensor - BK/LB is black with Light Blue tracer
5 Volt supply wire - is OR wire and goes from PCM to splice to crank sensor - OR is orange wire

CAM Sensor

Sensor signal wire - is a TN/YL wire, goes from PCM to cam sensor - TN/YL is tan with yellow tracer
Sensor Ground and 5 V supply are as above but instead of crank sensor insert cam sensor.

I am not sure how to get you a copy of the manual though, I could take a picture of the one page and either text or email you that if that is all you need.

Let me know if this helps or how I can get the dakota manual to you.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Did he try pulling the codes up without a reader? My old 01 dakota could just by cycling the key
fairly quickly do the following
key on (to on, not the start position), key off, key on, key off, key on - leave in the last - key on position - and your code should come up in the mileage area if it can be read this way.

On the dakota the miles were in green lights in the dash.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
P1391 Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP

It's unlikely it's a wiring problem, both sensors can give partial signal or cut out sporadically throwing this code. Best bet is to replace both the cam and crank sensors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P1391 Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP

It's unlikely it's a wiring problem, both sensors can give partial signal or cut out sporadically throwing this code. Best bet is to replace both the cam and crank sensors.
I have this issue with my 98 but cuts out at 2500 rpm. I have replaced distributor crank sensor tps plugs wires fuel pump plenum and intake gaskets. Still cuts out, any thoughts would be appreciated. Could it be the flexplate/flywheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this issue with my 98 but cuts out at 2500 rpm. I have replaced distributor crank sensor tps plugs wires fuel pump plenum and intake gaskets. Still cuts out, any thoughts would be appreciated. Could it be the flexplate/flywheel
I know this is old, but replace the camshaft position sensor if you already replaced the crankshaft position sensor.
Here is a video guide on how to replace both the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts