DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck started running like total shit tonight. Shaking horribly, won't accel, way down on power, won't rev past 4K I believ...

Google hasn't turned up anything useful besides something with cylinder 7.... Did my brand new engine just drop a cylinder!?

·
Registered
86 Posts
P1417

It has to do with the MDS and the solenoid and the electrical circuit for cyl 7 and it also has to do with the oil passage's being restricted so there is not enough pressure to activate the locking pins to allow the lifters to collapse
Not sure how the MDS was checked but with a scan tool you could activate the solenoid 7 so if you hear it working than the oil passages are restricted so you would have to clean that out
Hope that gives you a better understanding of what is going on

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
do you have 5-20 oil in there? a heavier weight will not allow mds to work properly.
+1 on that

also your truck seems to bee still on warranty, if yes use it, dont mess with it, they might tell you you did it,..

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay that makes me a little less worried. It's got 5-20 M1 with 21XX miles since the last oil change.

I'm going to take it to the dealer Monday, I'll let them worry about it

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't make it to the dealer today (dog kept me up all might sick) but throw P0307 on the .7 mile round trip to get smokes today. To the dealer without fail tomorrow

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
some questions & answers on different sites

code P1417. "Cylinder 7 Reactivation Control Performance". The car will drive fine, then start to shake like a really bad rough idle.
The code indicates a stuck solenoid or stuck lifter; This is going to be a problem with the lifters. There have been some failures of the lifters on these engines. Replace the lifters as a set.

The Multiple Displacement System Solenoids control the opening of the valves, but the valve lifters may be stuck, faulty. Also If vehicle runs on incorrect weight engine oil, can cause P1417 trouble code to display. As a result The PCM may have learned some incorrect values if the engine is running rough.

1. Disconnect the battery cables and rub the cables together to clear the memory in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

2. Check the lifters and the wiring to the solenoids.

another site reads
P1417 - Port air relief circuit

this is suppose to be the code list
http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709&d=1253695828

it reads
P1417 Port Air Relief Circuit Malfunction

1 - 8 of 8 Posts