DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck has thrown a "P1521 incorrect engine oil type" code. The oil was changed about a month ago with only about 1500 Km (933) Miles put on it since the oil change.
I used 5W20 synthetic oil (Mobil). It is the right viscosity. Is there a problem using synthetic oil ?? Why did it only throw the code now ?

The truck also threw two additional codes as well.

"P0405 exhaust gas recirculation position sensor" & "1404 exhaust gas recirculation close position"

I am not sure if there is any relation of these codes with each other. I have searched the forum for answers and I can only assume that the EGR should be replaced however the the incorrect oil type I am unsure of.

Any help with these problems would be appreciated. I apologize if there has been an answer posted however I have not been able to find any.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

Cheers

harleyfx

G

·
The oil message is puzzling. I wonder if this is the first time it has had synthetic oil in it.

Try resetting the code. You can do that at an auto parts store or by simply disconnecting your negative battery cable for 15 - 30 minutes, then re-connect and start the truck. If the code comes back it may probably just be a bad oil pressure sensor.

You have a bad EGR valve so change that out and the first two codes will go away after you reset your PCM.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply MADDOG

This is the second oil change since switching to synthetic oil. The first one I changed it pretty quick because it was the first time using it. It has not been running synthetic for that long, however it should be long enough. I am going to pick up a new EGR and change that out, clear the codes and then I will see if I still get a code. I am hoping that might do it. If not I will look at an oil pressure sensor. Any idea of the location of the oil pressure sensor ?

Merry Christmas !!

harleyfx

·
Registered
24 Posts
The oil pressure sender is on the passenger side above the oil filter on the front of the block. As far as the incorrect oil type, the computer will throw that code if it determines that the wrong weight of oil is used in the engine. Dont know if you changed the weight of oil or not. but i do know that 2005 and up trucks will throw the light due to the (MDS) multiple displacement System on the trucks. The computer does the MDS by controlling the oil going to the lifters. The Egr code is very common and the only fix is to replace it. You can try cleaning it but some people get lucky, some dont when it comes to that.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
The oil pressure sender is on the passenger side above the oil filter on the front of the block. As far as the incorrect oil type, the computer will throw that code if it determines that the wrong weight of oil is used in the engine. Dont know if you changed the weight of oil or not. but i do know that 2005 and up trucks will throw the light due to the (MDS) multiple displacement System on the trucks. The computer does the MDS by controlling the oil going to the lifters. The Egr code is very common and the only fix is to replace it. You can try cleaning it but some people get lucky, some dont when it comes to that.
06+ in the trucks. Only the cars had MDS since 2005.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I haven't seen any new information on the dreaded Check Engine Light issue on a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi in quite awhile. My experience last year was the same as described. I got a combination of the P1521 for incorrect oil viscosity to which I know is not at fault and the P405 for the EGR valve. I changed both out in August of 2020 and the two codes cleared successfully without a hard reset on my ODB2 reader. I went about 11 months and 6000 miles and ran into the same thing yesterday. Fortunately the two parts were still under warranty at O'Reilly and I was able to reinstall the new ones since the learning curve was still pretty fresh. Tedious but not hard. Cleared the codes and started the truck up with no check engine light. Not sure how long it will last. The only thing I did differently this time was to spray some electrical cleaner into the two plugs. They didn't appear dirty and I didn't see any corrosion. Who knows if it will help.

I would be curious if anyone has any insight into some other cause for the two codes and replacement of the parts? It seems odd that they would both go bad with very few miles and not much time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mopar cars and trucks only like Mopar brand sensors , others may work for a while ,or give false readings ,or not work at all. Use only Mopar brand sensors on your Ram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts