DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what the p3497 code is? and how do i fix it?
thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
P3497 MDS Rationality - Bank 2
Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Insufficient oil pressure acting on the lifter locking pins
  • Oil passages are restricted
  • Valve lifter has failed
  • MDS solenoid connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and moisture)
  • MDS solenoid has failed
Engine running; then during the transition from 4-8 Cylinder mode, the PCM detected the O2 sensor readings on Bank 2 indicated a lean condition while in 4-Cylinder mode. Once all criteria are met, power is supplied to the Multi-Displacement Solenoid (MDS) solenoid while the engine is making a transition from 8-Cylinder mode to 4-Cylinder mode. By actuating the solenoid, oil pressure is raised to the pair of lifters that coincide with each particular solenoid. The oil pressure pushes in the locking pins which allow the lifter to collapse, decoupling the valves and camshaft.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what type of oil are you running. wrong type of oil and or lack their of could causer this

i just got the truck about 2 months ago and have not changed the oil yet.but the oil is full.i have about 3500 miles on this oil.i'm going in on friday to get it changed. thank you for the info. :smileup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
nissan have a similar issue with them, usually doing an oil change with the correct weight and resting the light and driving it usually fixes it. but if it reset then you have issue. i believe the cylinder has to come off and the lifters have to be inspected along with passages, or by a dsp and disable the mds

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i plan on getting one as soon as my funds will let me.i had the engine light reset today and so far so good.but it seems like it goes between 8 and 4 cylinder mode to much! i really don't like the mds at all. thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
Since you don't like MDS just put the truck in manual mode when you start it and it won't let MDS run.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what is manual mode? and how do i do that? is it the same as tow/haul?or overdrive off? thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
on 09 and up you can kind of avoid that whole mds thing, but us with the 06-08 rams we have to spend 300bucks on a tuner to turn it off. i just order it mine from amazon the other night should have it this weekend or monday. i cant stand it anymore, then onces you do that you dont have to run the 5w20 anymore you can run 5w30 or even 10w30 if you want to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
next month i'm getting a cold air intake,a tuner and an exhaust.but im having trouble deciding between the super chips or the diablo. heard good things about both.

·
Registered
247 Posts
well i went with the diablo and sonnax trans mod, cold air intake should be in by mid next week, going to hold off on the exhaust till i decided headers high flow converter setup and cat back dual or just a cat back dual

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just ordered a K&N cai yesterday.hope its in this week.the k&n site claims 10 hp gain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P3497 MDS Rationality - Bank 2
Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Insufficient oil pressure acting on the lifter locking pins
  • Oil passages are restricted
  • Valve lifter has failed
  • MDS solenoid connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and moisture)
  • MDS solenoid has failed
Engine running; then during the transition from 4-8 Cylinder mode, the PCM detected the O2 sensor readings on Bank 2 indicated a lean condition while in 4-Cylinder mode. Once all criteria are met, power is supplied to the Multi-Displacement Solenoid (MDS) solenoid while the engine is making a transition from 8-Cylinder mode to 4-Cylinder mode. By actuating the solenoid, oil pressure is raised to the pair of lifters that coincide with each particular solenoid. The oil pressure pushes in the locking pins which allow the lifter to collapse, decoupling the valves and camshaft.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
are we talking opening the headers to check these pins? that the furthest in though right? im struggling to find a diagram that matches my engine none of the pics look like my 04 5.7.. newest nicest truck ive owned ...my bikes all run great haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts