DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let anyone in PA know about my recent registration plate experience. I bought my Ram at the end of January and transferred a plate from my old truck to this one. So I was waiting for my new card to be sent as I was told would happen by my salesman. But instead of just a card I also received a new plate with new number and no explanation. So, I looked into it further on the PennDOT website and this is what I found: " ...the law also allows PennDOT to order a general registration plate reissuance. Standard issue passenger registration plates that start with the tag configuration 'D', 'E', 'F', and truck registration plates that start with the tag configuration 'Y' are the oldest on the road and need to be replaced. So, if you have a standard issue registration plate beginning with a 'D', 'E', 'F' or 'Y' configurations, you will get a new registration plate the next time your registration plate is transferred to a different vehicle." My plate started with Y. What a pain it was to find this information. It would save a lot of anxiety if the above information were included with the new plate. I guess common sense isn't so common anymore.

Duc

·
Registered
302 Posts
PA here too. Thanks for that information. Good find.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
In California, you get new plates for your vehicle, Unless you pay a Fee that makes your old plate from another vehicle a Vanity Plate

In Connecticut when you sell your old vehicle, you remove the plate & put it on your replacement vehicle
My brother has a plate hanging on his garage wall, he downsized from 3 vehicles to two vehicles, if he were to get a 3rd vehicle, he would take the extra plate with him to pick up the 3rd vehicle.
I always thought that way of doing it was strange, or at least different

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Good info for our PA members, thanks for posting this.

Call me nostalgic, but I still have the same license plates on my 2017 Ram that I had on my very first truck back in 1998. When I bought my 2015 Ram, the salesman could not believe I was putting those old nasty looking plates on my brand new truck. Bought the 2017 from the same salesman and he didn't ask this time around. Just knew that's how I role and put those old plates on the new truck again for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts