DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found a pair of Pacesetter Shorty headers at the junkyard. They were on a 1996 Ram 1500 5.9. This is the same as my truck. I pulled them and they are like new for only $40. Can anyone explain the benefits of the headers, how hard the install will be and what I can expect. This is a project truck which I am teaching myself on. My truck already has a dual exhaust with stock exhaust manifolds, CAI, and a bored out throttle body.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am not for sure for the 5.9's but most shorty headers have minimal gains over the stock manifolds, but they are headers and they look cool I would run them for $40.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Basically as Sixfive said, I don't know much about the 5.9L but in general you will see somewhere in between no gains and small gains with shorties. It may change your exhaust tone/volume slightly as well but if so, only slightly I would guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So why is there such a difference between shorty headers and long headers? A friend found a pair that will fit his 5.9 at the same junkyard, but will have to modify his exhaust to fit them. I am learning while restoring my truck so forgive me if this sounds like a silly question.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I am no gear head or hotrodder by any means but my understanding is that longtubes build more power because their design (tube length and diameter) makes them much, much more efficient at exhaust scavenging. Basically an efficient, quality set of longtubes should be able to suck the spent exhaust gases from the cylinder rather than simply being a collector for the piston to push the exhaust gases out. Shorties, while usually more efficient than the stock manifolds, simply aren't built to do that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
There will definitely be horsepower gains over the stock manifolds.
I disagree with above statements about no gains with shorty's.

I do agree in certain applications there is minimal benefits, but the magnum truck manifolds are pretty restrictive.

With free flowing exhaust behind them there should be enough gain to feel it.

Now shorty's will without a doubt leave power on the table compared to long tubes, and pacesetters longevity will most likely leave a lot to be desired.
However with that said, for 40 bucks, a couple hours time, a can of PB blaster, they should be fine. Once they crack/rust out from there you can step up to a more expensive/better quality header or go back to manifolds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts