DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, need some quality opinions here...I just got my 2014 (ordered it specifically for CC with Rambox on a 6.4 bed and took 7 weeks to get it - and the Ram box shows up broken - so that adds to the frustration) and the paint has two dime size blisters or bubbles in the lower part of the bed panel. They are noticeable now that I know they are there.
My concern is having it repainted ruins the factory paint one week into owning it and what if they don't do it well?? But not doing anything may cause rust, peeling, or other down the road.

your thoughts? the dealer is willing to do it, but should I?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have seen numerous members decline delivery due to reasons like yours. Me personally, if dealer will not take the truck back and replace it, get it fixed. I had small rust spots repaired on both sides of my rear bumper. Dealer sent me to a "certified" repair shop and all work covered under factory warranty as if it never happened.

Keep in mind my truck was 3 months old when I saw it so I really didn't have a good fight to replace it. If you just took delivery, give it a shot on a replacement. Yes, it would bother me losing the factory paint.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My .02
If the dealer is willing to repair the issue now and you refuse, they may at a later point say that anything that stems from that issue is on you because you refused the repair.
I had paint blisters fixed twice on my 05 Durango when I took it to a body shop for rust repair. About a day after I got it home, the bubbles were there again. I was told the bubbles were formed by moisture either left on the surface and paint applied over it, or, moisture seeped under the paint through a pinhole somewhere in the metal or paint. Either way, they turn ugly and spread pretty fast if you don't take care of it right away. Being that there are two of them the size of a dime- I would get on it right away.
My opinion- I would ask for the same paint and number of clear coats as the factory paint job to make sure the new paint doesn't shine any more or any less than the rest of the truck.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A good body shop could easily repair that to the point you would never know it was ever there....no matter how hard you looked. Plus, most good body shops will warranty their paint job for as long as you own the truck.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
A good body shop could easily repair that to the point you would never know it was ever there....no matter how hard you looked. Plus, most good body shops will warranty their paint job for as long as you own the truck.
Agreed. Also, any shop the dealer uses is going to do warranty work on a regular basis. The dealer then needs to answer to Chrysler via your feedback just as if the work was done in their own shop. They want to be careful because their rep is on the line.

I had some blistering in my paint on my drivers bedside. It looked like large pieces of sand that had been painted over. Whatever it was, it wasn't rust. The dealer told me if they found ANY rust they would replace the whole panel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to realize the accuracy of lbram81's signature line question more and more...
Thanks guys - i would like to take it to a body shop that i trust but i think i will be stuck at the dealer body shop - cant imagine they would pay for me go elsewhere.

I think I have to let them fix it and hope the paint looks good several years down the road...
As much as I'd like to play hardball and have them swap the vehicle out, i ordered the truck and not waiting 8 more weeks even if it were an option...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm in the same predicament. I'm having a paint flaw repaired on the front left fender right after I have the hail damage repaired from this weekends hail storm!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had repair work done after an accident at a local crysler dealer with a body shop. 4 years later the truck looks great, you wouldn't even know it had any work done to it.

This is not warranty work on a new truck, I'm just saying a good body shop can make it right.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm worried about whether or not they are a "good" body shop! never used them but they have a nice, large facility, so Im hoping its ok...I think it will be better than leaving the blisters...The pain is new so matching shouldn't be an issue.
Just frustrated i have to deal with it at all...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I guess I'm worried about whether or not they are a "good" body shop! never used them but they have a nice, large facility, so Im hoping its ok...I think it will be better than leaving the blisters...The pain is new so matching shouldn't be an issue.
Just frustrated i have to deal with it at all...
I've seen good and bad jobs come out of dealer bodyshops. It's really how much time and money do they want to spend. Since its' a new vehicle, I suspect the job should be perfect. The worst work I'd seen were vehicles going to the used lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts