DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited in Black

I got it a few weeks ago and then after getting it home I went to do a nice wash and detail of the car and found nibs and bumps all over the vehicle.
They are small some the size of a grain of sand and some up to like 2mm but are definitely from the factory and under/in the paint.

The dicey part is that this truck has more than 36k miles so it is no longer in the 36/36 warranty. The previous owner who was a 92 woman paid lots of money for a 7yr/100mi max care warranty but unfortunately it doesnt cover paint.
A few of these bumps have a crack in them and show the signs of rust on the edges of the crack.
After closely examining the truck and taping off all the defects, I counted 86!!! on a $60k msrp truck?!!! and Im sure there are more if I spend more time looking. They are on every panel except the bumper(I have matching paint bumper not chrome), which after a little bit of research I found out is painted in a totally different location. My truck was painted in the Warren factory.
I recently took it to a dealership and expressed my frustration as it was such a horrible paint job. He seems to be on my side and is helping me make a claim with Mopar care. The vehicle is in warranty period for the rust warranty which is 5yr, unlimited mileage. He asked for me to get an estimate from a local paint shop on a complete repaint.

I plan on dropping off this estimate tomorrow but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had issues with paint on most of their panels and what the resolution was. The paint guys (went to 3 shops) all expressed that painting a truck properly is a pain in the ass as you will have to get all lights, decals, etc off the truck and remove the bed as well to paint all areas including doors for the jams. They mentioned that getting proper fitting after is difficult and that this model truck will likely look the best if I can find a different one that comes out done well from the factory.

I doubt they will replace my truck because of this but after I saw my estimate maybe it would be a better economical option if mopar's cost on a truck is lower.

Does anyone know what the actual build cost is of a ecodiesel truck?
Would love to hear from anyone with this kind of warranty issue and what the resolution was, Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I had a paint issue. Pay attention to my last post in the following thread. If they strip the paint down and find rust on the metal they will need to replace all the panels per their policy.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155295

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone, a minor delay in this process.
My contact at the Ram dealership could not up load all the photos I took of my truck due to their size. I guess the claim form they use can only accept 640x480 photos. Strange considering you would think they would want more detail not less and that photo dimension is very small.
I resized some photos and had them back to him last friday so still waiting to hear back.

I will post more when I hear back.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I had paint defects on my 2016 before i drove it off the dealerships property for the first time.
Ram said that the dealer could fix it, my dealer sends out paint work & the body shop they chose really messed the new truck up, they sanded right through the clear coat in several places & the dealership sent it back & when it came back the 2nd time, it was even worse. The tailgate even had runs in it.
The dealer basically told me that they gave up.

I disliked the original color anyway & i didn't want to order another truck
So i took it to a shop that i had used before & had the whole truck repainted a different color. It cost $7,000
I also went from Chrome Bumpers to Painted & changed the grille style, i changed the door handles too

Unless the back of the cab has flaws down by the bed, the bed won't need to be removed

If you do get it repainted, install brighter bulbs into the headlights,before they reinstall them

Ram may turn you down, because like i was told, it is not really a Paint Warranty, it is a Rust Warranty & the rust has to go all the way through the sheet metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is another update for you guys.

I am pretty irritated that no one in the Ram Mopar customer service department wants to step up and help me with this issue as it looks bad on them that they let a vehicle to this trim level get sold with all these defects.

I have done everything they have asked and I am at another standstill. The latest thing was that since the dealer got the initial denial letter from business department that they deferred me to the 800 number to see if they could help me further. I spoke with a man named “Todd” who did give me a bit of the run around stating the same thing that it is over the 36/36 warranty that there is nothing they can do. But after I gave much more detail that these pimple like defects some show rust and that eventually they would rust through then fitting still in the rust warranty which is 5yr unlimited mileage and it would be much easier and less costly to fix this issue now rather than down the road when the panels rust through he started trying to find a way they could help me.
He said that since the initial report that got rejected at the dealer level claimed that the photos that came in they were stating that the paint job was not done by them. Todd told me that if I could take it to a Dodge/Ram dealership that had a body shop in it that they could do a digital paint depth gauge test and figure out if it is in fact a factory paint job or if it is a repaint. Like Ive posted earlier I am 100% sure this is a factory paint job but I am willing to jump through some hoops to make sure they know that. Obviously I could go to an independent paint shop in my town but to make sure Im not getting a biased opinion they wanted me to go to one of their body shops. Unfortunately for me I discovered they don’t have many of them anymore where there is a body shop in the dealership. The closest one to me was about 1.5 hour drive away.

I got some time off work on a Monday and made sure the shop manager was in and drove down to have him inspect the truck. He was a nice gentleman down at Rocket town Dodge Ram and grabbed his digital gauge and we went out to my truck. He did notice the marks I had taped off and said that it does happen from time to time but should have been corrected before it left factory. He measured the paint in many areas, hood, roof, doors, tailgate, and inside door jams, and door frame areas. He actually noticed some areas that I had not noticed before in the door frame area that were mistakes. The rear door frame area has a lot of extra over spray that shouldn’t be like that. He suggested that I get a representative from Dodge out to go over vehicle. Im not exactly sure what that means but he made it sound like the dealership doesn’t have anyone that can do that but that they can send someone out. This is just baffling to me because everyone who has looked at it clearly sees that it was a poor paint job that should have never left the factory. Yes I may be a bit picky or have better eye sight than the previous owner who was 92 but that doesn’t excuse them for a paint job with the defects that once I point them out to anyone in person or in photos agrees it shouldn’t be there.

The manager of the shop put his signature on a business card with the range of paint depths and gave his expert opinion that it was in deed a factory paint job. I was there a whole 30 mins and then back on the road for an hour and a half to my hometown San Luis Obispo.

The following day I called the same 800 number and asked if I could speak to Todd again and finish our conversation now that I have completed that last step of certifying that it is in fact a factory paint. Unfortunately they could not connect me to “Todd” again but a lady named Caitlin tried to help me out. I told her what Todd asked of me and now I have proper documentation from Rocket Town Dodge to prove it is a factory paint job. She said she had no idea why Todd would ask me to do that and she cant help me. Clearly I was upset but I did not get very far with her at all. I have sent an email to my local Warranty Director at the Dealership to see if he can help me with the next step and it has been 4 days. I may just drive in there today. This issue may not get any help at all.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had paint defects on my 2016 before i drove it off the dealerships property for the first time.
Ram said that the dealer could fix it, my dealer sends out paint work & the body shop they chose really messed the new truck up, they sanded right through the clear coat in several places & the dealership sent it back & when it came back the 2nd time, it was even worse. The tailgate even had runs in it.
The dealer basically told me that they gave up.

I disliked the original color anyway & i didn't want to order another truck
So i took it to a shop that i had used before & had the whole truck repainted a different color. It cost $7,000
I also went from Chrome Bumpers to Painted & changed the grille style, i changed the door handles too

Unless the back of the cab has flaws down by the bed, the bed won't need to be removed

If you do get it repainted, install brighter bulbs into the headlights,before they reinstall them

Ram may turn you down, because like i was told, it is not really a Paint Warranty, it is a Rust Warranty & the rust has to go all the way through the sheet metal

GT, Who paid for your paint job?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I imagine he did; since it is a work vehicle maybe a tax deduction was involved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts