DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've got less than 10K before factory warranty expires and was curious about everyone's opinion on whether to take my truck in to have dealer fix (if they will) a dime sized paint defect (IMO). to me looks like corrosion or rust causing paint to bubble up. problem is on edge of the hood and probably require respraying the entire hood.

Opinions much appreciated.

I do plan to take my truck in to have the black vinyl on B pillars replaced because it is wrinkled in a few spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would certainly take it to the dealer; there is warranty against corrosion; the hood is made of aluminium, and aluminium corrodes both in the horizontal and vertical planes more so than steel.
The dealer will probably say it's from a rock chip; see if you can see a pin hole.
Bare aluminium corrodes quickly; you should get it fixed sooner rather than later.
As to your black tape, there is a thread about it for those who would like to remove them altogether. The thread has pictures of "with and without".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would certainly take it to the dealer; there is warranty against corrosion; the hood is made of aluminium, and aluminium corrodes both in the horizontal and vertical planes more so than steel.
The dealer will probably say it's from a rock chip; see if you can see a pin hole.
Bare aluminium corrodes quickly; you should get it fixed sooner rather than later.
As to your black tape, there is a thread about it for those who would like to remove them altogether. The thread has pictures of "with and without".
I knew there was corrosion warranty and I didn't know the hood was aluminium. just checked the defect and I don't see any pin holes unless it's microscopic. I will look for the other thread on black tape. thanks

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Corrosion has to be all the way through
the powers that run Ram will not allow the dealership to do warranty work for cosmetic reasons in most cases
Even when the dealership is 100% on your side, Ram has them take pictures & more pictures & almost every time they fight tooth & nail on cosmetic complaints

When you are ready to do the black vinyl on B pillars, if it really bothers you, compare what the dealer may charge you, to what an auto body shop may charge you

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Corrosion warranty is 5 years 100,000
Cosmetic or surface corrosion (resulting
from stone chips or scratches in the paint, for example) will not be repaired under this warranty.
If corrosion damage is obviously neglected and allowed to worsen until a hole develops, this warranty will not cover the repair.

·
Registered
416 Posts
How about the tail gate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rust warranty

My 2012 Grand Cherokee (which I bought used ) was purchased with an 8 year warranty. I found after 3 years a rust bubble and no perforation on the leading edge of the hood, as well as a bubble on the rear hatch. I took it to my local dealer. They took pictures and a week later I took it in for work to be done. They had painted a new hood and repaired the hatch. The. Work was done well, the dealership treated me with respect. All is good

·
Registered
144 Posts
i've got less than 10K before factory warranty expires and was curious about everyone's opinion on whether to take my truck in to have dealer fix (if they will) a dime sized paint defect (IMO). to me looks like corrosion or rust causing paint to bubble up. problem is on edge of the hood and probably require respraying the entire hood.

Opinions much appreciated.

I do plan to take my truck in to have the black vinyl on B pillars replaced because it is wrinkled in a few spots.

I had the same issue on my Sport hood and front drivers side quarter panel. Dealership took pictures and about 2 months later I took it back to the dealer to see what they were going to do. They ended up replacing the hood and the quarter panel. So far so good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Paint and body

I am confused (easily done) but is there a different warranty for the states vs Canada. When I bought my Ram in 2015 the rust protection covers the complete truck for the life of the truck as I own it. My last purchase was a 2012 grand Cherokee bought used. Because it was used the warranty is only 8 yrs. Now maybe I have it wrong but the extra cost of the rust protection will pay for itself many times over

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: took truck to dealer today to have a number of warranty issue fixed ( i hoped) or at least documented. first was the T25 recall which was done, then the paint issue. They took pictures and i guess on it's way to be denied by Corp. btw 300M, you are right, the corrosion is starting to spread.

also, complained about the cruise control button not activating sometimes and of course they didn't find any problem with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey dr fro I had problems with body and paint warranty on a 2012 grand Cherokee. One dealership took the proverbial pictures then nothing. After 2 months still nothing, went to a different dealership and voila, 2weeks later my vehicle is back on the road (fixed) . Don't give up on the good guy's

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update: Just went today for an oil change at my local dealer and asked about an update on my paint defect submission from 2 weeks ago. Service manager called me to say RAM has authorized them to replace the entire hood since the corrosion appears to be on the edge of the hood and under the edge of the hood across the pinched seam. Now just waiting on them to order a new hood and paint it to get it swapped out. Hope the paint matches the fenders and grill....

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Another update: Just went today for an oil change at my local dealer and asked about an update on my paint defect submission from 2 weeks ago. Service manager called me to say RAM has authorized them to replace the entire hood since the corrosion appears to be on the edge of the hood and under the edge of the hood across the pinched seam. Now just waiting on them to order a new hood and paint it to get it swapped out. Hope the paint matches the fenders and grill....
Glad to read stories like this and to see Ram stands behind their product. I also had a factory paint issue addressed. It took months to get approved. Only bad thing is they didn't do the greatest job matching the paint. My dealership sources a local body shop for all of their work. In certain light you can see where they blended it. Looks more of a blue streak than a true blue to me. Wasn't worth hassling over to me. It's at the very bottom door sill on the rear passenger side door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has similar issue with 2017 Rebel in Mojave Sand. Independent detailer noticed paint defects in March 2018, over a year after I took delivery on the new vehicle. Apparently, mojave sand was not applied evenly and clear coat that followed made yellow pools on the hood, pillars, door panels, etc. when the sun was just right. Took it to the dealer and they didn't even balk. Had a dealer paid rental for three weeks while dealer rcvd Chrysler approval to repaint. $3k later I had a freshly painted truck! Safford of Winchester, VA has a customer for life! Those folks know how to treat their customers with respect and fairness.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Warranty issue. Posted this already in a couple places but I need as much info as possible to get this issue resolved.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just did a Google search and it brought me here.

I am currently trying to deal with a similar/same issue with my 13 Ram that has bubbles/rust on both front fenders.
I recently took it to the dealer and was told to call the 1-800 number as my truck is just out of warranty but only has 70,000 kms and has been rust proofed/undercoated since new by Rust Check and Krown.

When I called, I received a Case # but was told, because my truck is just out of warranty due to time, not mileage, there was nothing they could do.

I told the guy on the phone, this is a well known issue and front fenders are backordered months due to this problem and FCA/Ram should have a good will clause that would cover this.

Needless to say, my efforts were futile as he kept repeating I was out of warranty time wise (5yrs). I told him my truck has less than half the 160,000 kms (70,000 kms) and there is no reason this shouldn't be covered, especially since the truck has been undercoated since new with zero rust anywhere else.

Curious what my path forward is? Is there a class action suit and if not, how does one go about getting one started?

Like I mentioned, this is a well known, documented problem that is being discussed on many Ram forums, and in my opinion, FCA should acknowledge this and take care of their customers.
My dealer also said my truck was in great condition, and stated, even if he could repair this, he wouldn't be able to look at this until February, at the earliest, of next year as they are so busy dealing with this issue with other customers.

Any info on a path forward would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Irv, look at your owners manual to check the corrosion warranty. my 14 is covered for 100,000 miles but does state that sheet metal has to be perforated to be covered under warranty. if your truck is covered under the corrosion warranty, I would keep calling FCA until you reached someone that agrees to help.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Irv, look at your owners manual to check the corrosion warranty. my 14 is covered for 100,000 miles but does state that sheet metal has to be perforated to be covered under warranty. if your truck is covered under the corrosion warranty, I would keep calling FCA until you reached someone that agrees to help.
So far I have had zero luck!! :sad:

I called the 1-800 number but was basically told to pound salt. I explained the rustproofing since new, that I babied this truck, offered pics, etc, etc, etc, and all to no avail.

I just recently heard of @ramcares so I am going to try that route shortly. My 5 yrs is up but I am well below the 160,000 km warranty with only 70,000 on mine. This is maddening and not something I thought I would have a problem with.
I love the truck and everything else about it. I just wasn't expecting a 5 yr old truck, especially one that has been rustproofed since new and babied everywhere else to be rusting out so soon! :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts