DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Finally getting my truck al nice and jacked up, it was time to start!
I bought some brake cleaner and brought out some paper towels to start cleaning.

My brake drums decided that they absolutely did NOT want to come off, so they did not come off..
They were also crazy rusty and the only thing i could find in stores was this nasty pink goo. it didn't work to well, theres no rust, but now its tanish looking, so im going to work more on that tomorrow. as well as put some more coats on.

Did i use enough foil?... :smiley_thumbs_up:

Primed

After a few coats of green, ill put some more on tomorrow

Bad part.. My calipers would NOT get clean, scrubbing, cleaning, spraying cleaner, everything. over and over, would not get hardly better.... so i sprayed anyway.. lets see how long they'll last haha.

Reactions: Canadian Hemi Pride

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice! I remember doing that to a friends 05 on a very windy day. Did not turn out as nice as yours to say the least lol.
I couldnt get them cleaned for crap. So they could easily flake off in a week hahaha.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Lookin' like it's gonna turn out nice. Keep up posted, good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i couldn't de-rust them good at all, no store had anything good that removed rust, so theres a bit of rust patches underneath, but I sure primed the hell out if it, so it could flake off, but who know.

The fronts would absolutely not get cleaned either, its like no one has cleaned them since it was new. (which explains because i haven't tried to ever clean them before either.. lol)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
well, i couldn't de-rust them good at all, no store had anything good that removed rust, so theres a bit of rust patches underneath, but I sure primed the hell out if it, so it could flake off, but who know.

The fronts would absolutely not get cleaned either, its like no one has cleaned them since it was new. (which explains because i haven't tried to ever clean them before either.. lol)
:LOL: ya rust is a b*tch... One option is you could lightly sand off the rust by eithor hand or an air grinder/sander... It is annoying as hell but an option.. Another is CLR and steel wool. I have never done that on brakes but have used it on nuts and frame parts of used trailers that we were planning to paint or re-polish.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i saw a thread about cleaning brake drums and the guy soaked them in something called like metal saver? metal rescue? something like that. but i couldnt find anything close to that anywhere. I was even asking clerks, not just scanning shelves. The closes thing they could find was this gross pink goop. it worked alright, but then it started coating my drums with white flakes. That could have been my water too since i have well water with lots of iron in it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
completed:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like it. it almost glows behind the rims. haha

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Kermit ain't got nothing on you!

Nice job.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh just wait untill i get these new LED's in!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts