DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't like chrome and I would love to paint my grill and bumpers black. I have no experience painting vehicles but I would love to do it myself if I could. I don't want to pay someone to do it since I'm afraid to even find out how much they would charge. Is this something I may be able to do myself, with a little bit of research?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have no experience with painting over chrome but I know there are a few members on here that have done their grilles and bumpers too, I think SS4luck did his grille but I could be mistaken for someone else, did you try searching for threads at the top of the page?

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you would like to paint the bumpers, I did mine or my previous 10 QC Dodge, make sure you ruff up the chrome with like some 80 Grit Sand paper. Wipe down with alcohol and a tack cloth. Spray base coat with an etching Primer to adhere better to the chrome. After at least 2 coats of etching primer put a couple coats of top coat (color) and then put at least 2 coats of clear. This is about a 2-3 day process to give time for all paints to dry the recommended time. I will post pics later once I find.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide between painting them black myself or just waiting a few months and saving up for a Line-X job. The advantage of Line-X is it will be much more durable, but I don't know how much they charge for the job (they are closed on the weekend). If I go the Line-X route I will have them hit my side steps as well.

Edit: After some more reading I have narrowed the choices down to having the parts powder coated or Line-X'd or Rhino Lined. I'm guessing all three are very expensive so I probably won't do any right away but I will call around Monday and get some pricing info to see how prices vary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called line x and they said it isn't guarunteed to stick to chrome, and they said it would be $500 for just the bumpers. So that is definitely a no go. I called a powder coating shop next and they quoted me $150 for the bumpers and they say it will stick fine. But they also said it will take 1-1.5 weeks for the process. Since I can't drive the truck with no bumpers that would be pretty rough to go that long without it.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Powder coating would be about the best way for long term durability at a reasonable cost.

As for being with them for a couple of weeks, you could go to an auto wrecker, or possibly a body shop and pick up a damaged bumper for next to nothing to put o the truck while yours is at the powder coater. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I painted my rear bumper and emblems with Plastidip and its only like 5 bucks at the local hardware store just clean off the bumper and very lightly spray on like 4 or 5 coats and it makes it nice and flat black

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked into plastidip but it has trouble sticking to chrome according to some projects on here. When i paint it i want it to be more permanent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just sanded my stuff down reall nice and then cleaned it,primed it, painted and cleared it. Everything turned out amazing

·
Registered
256 Posts
I plasti-dipped mine both front and rear too. Then I used the paint to match stuff from the auto parts store and now it looks like a sport model bumper front and rear. Overall cost me $50 and an afternoon. Has held up good for 6 months so far. Even with highway driving everyday to work. Only peeled where I scuffed a fence post at work.

Also, used a few coats of clear on top too.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
PM me with any questions too. ITs more time consuming than anything difficult wise, but Ive done a lot of painting before

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I plasti-dipped mine both front and rear too. Then I used the paint to match stuff from the auto parts store and now it looks like a sport model bumper front and rear. Overall cost me $50 and an afternoon. Has held up good for 6 months so far. Even with highway driving everyday to work. Only peeled where I scuffed a fence post at work.

Also, used a few coats of clear on top too.
Hmm. Did you scuff up the chrome before you Plasti-dipped it? If so what grit should I use to scuff? And do you scuff by hand or use a sander?

I suppose even if it didn't turn out good $50 isn't a big loss. My main concern is cold temperatures. I will be working in Yellowstone National Park from April-November and it is usually lows below freezing in April and late Oct-November. It seems like since it is plastic it would shrink/expand and come off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i painted my chrome grille to match the black, sanded with 300 grit, cleaned then primed, 3 coats of paint then 3 coats of clear. not too bad for a novice painter.

before

after

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I will definitely try at least my grill. If I think that goes well I will do the bumpers.

I still have quite a few questions.
-Where do you recommend I buy the primer and paint from? Just my local Autozone?
-Is a product like this worth looking at? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r-coating/_/N-2576?itemIdentifier=467217_0_0_
-Did you sand by hand or use a sander?
-Does it matter what color primer I use?
-I am wanting a flat black color for it all. If I put clear coats over the flat black will that make it glossy? Do you think it will be durable enough with no clear coats?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Check for answers in red

Thanks for the info. I think I will definitely try at least my grill. If I think that goes well I will do the bumpers.

I still have quite a few questions.
-Where do you recommend I buy the primer and paint from? Just my local Autozone? You can get everything needed from autozone. I used all Duplicolor products for mine. Just make sure to get an adhesion promoter and an etching primer wouldnt hurt either

-Is a product like this worth looking at? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r-coating/_/N-2576?itemIdentifier=467217_0_0_

You wouldnt need that. It is for bumpers that are flexible not metal ones like our Ram bumpers

-Did you sand by hand or use a sander?

For the initial sanding a sander wouldnt hurt for smoothing i wouldnt do it with anything but my hand for better control. at the end of the day it is your choice though

-Does it matter what color primer I use?

not really if your just going for a "plain" color

-I am wanting a flat black color for it all. If I put clear coats over the flat black will that make it glossy? Do you think it will be durable enough with no clear coats?

They make a matte primer. If you are going for that look it would be worth it to track a few cans of it down so you did have a clear over it. Otherwise you would be doing monthly touch ups

1 - 20 of 25 Posts