DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12' Ram R/T with 22" chrome wheels, thinking about either painting or powder coating them black. I need some opinions on what looks the best and what's the easiest route to go. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
have you thought about plastidip first. it will give you a great visual about how it will look and it is very cheap and easy to do yourself. we did it on my buddies before winter and it has held up great. they even have stuff to make them glossy if you dont want the matte finish. otherwise i think powder coating is the way to go on rims. but if you have chrome clads i dont know how that works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you thought about plastidip first. it will give you a great visual about how it will look and it is very cheap and easy to do yourself. we did it on my buddies before winter and it has held up great. they even have stuff to make them glossy if you dont want the matte finish. otherwise i think powder coating is the way to go on rims. but if you have chrome clads i dont know how that works.
I have thought about plastidip, not sure if it will stick well to chrome. Not sure how powder coating chrome works either, guess I'll have to find out

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Actually i did mine in black and did not like them but heres what they will look like and oh ya plasti dip will stick to anything

And these rims are not chrome they are polished aluminum

Much sexier

·
Banned
290 Posts
Most powder coating shops will bead blast the wheels before they apply the powder. Call and ask what they need you to do to prep for the coating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually i did mine in black and did not like them but heres what they will look like and oh ya plasti dip will stick to anything

And these rims are not chrome they are polished aluminum

Much sexier

My truck is silver so I think the black wheels will look good, I do like those polished aluminum wheels, but I'm not in the market for new wheels, I may try the plasti-dip

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No they are chrome clad, I do believe
Not if you have a r/t if you dont have thee rims

you either 1 dont have an r/t
2 got screwed by the dealer

post up a pic of your truck cause those are the stock 22'' rims that come on all r/t's and they are not chrome clad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not if you have a r/t if you dont have thee rims

you either 1 dont have an r/t
2 got screwed by the dealer

post up a pic of your truck cause those are the stock 22'' rims that come on all r/t's and they are not chrome clad
Hmm, those are the same wheels I have, I thought they were chrome clad, but I stand corrected, I ordered my plasti-dip and am going to do my wheels as soon as it comes in. photo-11.jpg

photo-8.JPG

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Cool and nice truck ya the only ones that are not chrome clad are the r/t 22's i believe and g/l with the plasti dip love that stuff you mess up just paint again or peel and start over. Oh and a tip they will be dull so if you want the plasti dip glossy spray it with tire foam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts