DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go for it and paint my stock Laramie Limited 20" wheels. Below are some pics of the before, during, and after process. I made the decision to not go full black, and kept the chrome portions that came on the stock dual-finish Limited wheels. So far I like the results, and it's different than what I've seen done before. Still have the option to go full black at some point in the future if desired.

I taped-off the chrome pieces with the premium 3M blue masking tape (tedious and time-consuming, but worked out well), used Rustoleum black primer as the 1st coat, then 2 coats of Rustoleum black wheel paint, then finished with a coat of Rustoleum matte clear coat. The guy I bought the paint from at O'Reilly Auto was the one who gave me to idea to use a deck of poker cards around the edges of the rims vs. taping-off. Great result doing this, and a lot faster than masking off / covering with paper.

Attachments

·
Banned
811 Posts
Turned out really nice, I've been thinking about going this route as well. What did you do for prep?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks very sharp! Cost effective way to make stock not look stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SK-Ram and Fishdude.

For prep, I just washed the wheels carefully, as I didn't see the need to do any "scuffing" on the surfaces I was painting. As you can see from the "before" photo, the finish on the part I was painting was not super smooth like the chrome, and thus far I have seen no indications the primer/paint has had any trouble adhering. We'll see for sure after the next wash!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You did a nice job. I thought about Plasti Dipping mine, but aftrer running them for a while I decided I really like the Limited wheels on my black truck. I had a couple sets of custom wheels on my last truck, but these are so nice that I don't see the need. Looks good. I believe the chrome insert pieces can be removed to avoid the masking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the chrome insert pieces can be removed to avoid the masking.
Holy cow - if that's the case, then I wasted a bunch of time. I was assuming they were stuck on like the other model trims' chrome covers. The chrome center cap just pops off (compression fit), so that I didn't have to mess with on the masking. Thanks~

·
Registered
198 Posts
Holy cow - if that's the case, then I wasted a bunch of time. I was assuming they were stuck on like the other model trims' chrome covers. The chrome center cap just pops off (compression fit), so that I didn't have to mess with on the masking. Thanks~
I think I remember seeing that they are held in place with a couple of allen head screws.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think I remember seeing that they are held in place with a couple of allen head screws.
Yep they remove with T10 bit. I plasti dipped my limited wheels last summer.

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I decided to go for it and paint my stock Laramie Limited 20" wheels. Below are some pics of the before, during, and after process. I made the decision to not go full black, and kept the chrome portions that came on the stock dual-finish Limited wheels. So far I like the results, and it's different than what I've seen done before. Still have the option to go full black at some point in the future if desired.

I taped-off the chrome pieces with the premium 3M blue masking tape (tedious and time-consuming, but worked out well), used Rustoleum black primer as the 1st coat, then 2 coats of Rustoleum black wheel paint, then finished with a coat of Rustoleum matte clear coat. The guy I bought the paint from at O'Reilly Auto was the one who gave me to idea to use a deck of poker cards around the edges of the rims vs. taping-off. Great result doing this, and a lot faster than masking off / covering with paper.
nice mod, nice looking truck :) thanks for sharring

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys.
BTW, I went out and checked last night, and yep - each one of the chrome wheel inserts is held on by 3 little T10 torx screws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts