DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone has painted their antenna? I would prefer it to be black instead of chrome. Just not sure what to use so it doesn't chip.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took some pliers and pulled the little ball off on top of the antenna, then took some cutters and cut off about 6 inches off the end, then pushed the ball back on top. Then I used some black krylon to paint it. It looks great being a little shorter and I have not noticed any loss of signal, paint has held up great for over a year now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
has anyone takin off that black plastic base that connects to the actual body of the truck? i would like to paint that too

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes it comes off by removing the round nut with 3 slots on top of the base i just used a pair of needle nose in 2 of them. Before i painted it i sanded off all of the texture and hit it with a plastic primer/adhesion promoter. still looks good after 4 or 5 months

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes it comes off by removing the round nut with 3 slots on top of the base i just used a pair of needle nose in 2 of them. Before i painted it i sanded off all of the texture and hit it with a plastic primer/adhesion promoter. still looks good after 4 or 5 months
What did you do to get your antenna like that? Looks good! The base and the antenna itself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the antenna itself is a 10 aluminum one from pepboys. reception isn't bad in town. but on the road i always use sirius, so not sure how it is then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
that looks good!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used black enamel because I ran out of plasti dip. It's worked fine so far and looks much better. It scratched whent he guy at the car wash used a wrench to unscrew it. No biggy though

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try your local auto salvage yard. I have a black one that came off of a GM vehicle. There are plenty of vehicles out there that came with black antennas from the factory. I think it looks much better than the stock aluminum color, IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts