DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and my parking brake is completely frozen. The pedal moves about an inch with some extreme force and I fear I will stretch or break the cable that links it together in the rear. I have done a small amount of research on my own and found that the arm that engages the drum system in the rear can sometimes freeze solid to the hub casing itself. I'm no expert and thought I would turn to the forum to see if anyone has seen a similar issue. Let me know any help is good.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The brake cable comes out of the drivers side floor, near the frame
If you follow it back, it ends at a flat section of metal that is on a pivot point.
You can see the cable where it comes out of the cab & then follows the frame

Where that single cable ends, that is where the metal bar is
after that bar, is where a second cable forms a Y
If i recall correctly, that is where you can adjust the emergency brake cable

You don't want it tight, because it won't release the parking brakes when your release the mechanism in the cab

That pivot point may be the reason your trucks E brake is not working right

·
Registered
2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thank you for your help. Ill take a look tomorrow at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fixed mine this winter, the middle cable would hang down and looked bad. Where the cables goes into each rotor , spray the steel arm with rust pen oil, let sit for an hour? Use hammer and screw driver to move arm forward and back about 5 10 times. Get someone else to then apply ebrake pedal. You should see the steel arm moving through a bigger arc of travel now. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Downfall of spraying penetrating oil in the hole to get the actuator arm is that some of the spray will get on the brakes which is not good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Little if any will get on the ebrake shoes, just dont stick the spray nozzle too far in. Mostly just were the 2 metal surfaces ride on each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts