DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Would you re-use a cleaned up Parking Break Actuator that was previously seized?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don’t Know

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m asking this for curiosity, I’ve already ordered new ones. But the parking break actuators were seized on both sides. I’ve removed them and cleaned them up and got them functioning again. My question is, would anyone have reused the old ones after they’ve been cleaned up? I was thinking about it and questioned if they’d seize up quicker than new or just not even last. I didn’t want to take any chances so I just went ahead and got new ones. But I’m curious if anyone would have re-used them?

Thanks for the chat

·
Registered
102 Posts
I re-use mine provided they were not overly rusted and pitted.
I always remove the loose rust and treat them with a rust converter and then coat them with the Never-Seez Pure Nickel Special compound. This Never-Seez is good up to 2400 degrees f. It is thinner than the regular and doesn’t restrict movement. Cat # NSBT 8N. Regular Never-Seez is only good to 1600 degrees f.
The new ones may not be protected from the factory so I would Never-Seez them at a minimum. I don’t use a lot so it can’t drip on any brake friction material or the drum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts