DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process. :doh:

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process. :doh:

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?

There is no learning curve, the turning radious on the 4th gens could be better. I always feel like there should be one or 2 more inches of turn in the wheel when it smacks the stops.

It usually takes me 3-4 tries in a crowded/cramped parking lot too. If I can I try to park away from others though, so its less of an issue for me, until I get home. My apartment complex parking is rediculous, 2 spaces, then a pole (holding the carport up) then 2 more spaces and a pole...my neighbor on one side has a Tahoe and my neighbor on the other has a White 4th Gen SLT. We ALL hate the parking lot. When I get my beater car from my friend, the truck will get parked either out on the street nearby, or in long term storage, pulled out once a month or so for a joyride, then put back to rest.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear it's not just me. I'm sure with more time behind the wheel I'll figure out the no-go spots before even trying to fit.

Me and the wife will be moving to GA soon from FL, so hopefully the town is more truck-friendly in terms of parking lots than what we've got down here. I haven't heard too many complaints from my buddies up there with trucks.

You're at Lewis? I used to work out there and lived on top of a hill out in Olympia--I'd have given anything to have a 4x4 back then...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, parking is a challange. I have been getting quite creative in avoiding the problem. Which means I get lots of exercise in the process. :smileup:
Yeah, that's funny actually. I was driving my wife around and said to her that I'd never before realized all the pickups parked out at the far end of the lot before until I had to do it myself...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lol It becomes easier it really does. Once you get the angles down and the way the truck turns youll get into it. Granted there are some places you will have to perform the 50 point turn shit to get into a parking spot but it gets easier with practice. you just gotta know your truck is all.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I agree, it becomes easier with time and practice and learning how your truck turns and getting a feel for the size, back up cams are nice but be careful with traffic coming from the sides because they dont show that...

·
Registered
116 Posts
One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process.
No huge loss there! :box2:

As others have said, it does in fact get easier. I have driven just about everything from small cars, medium trucks, large trucks, vans, delivery trucks, bucket trucks, utility trucks...the learning curve for parking is just as Army said...make your own space out in the boonies and walk! It's easier parking, and leaving. (sometimes getting into the spot is the easy part!).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. Not that the world needs another Prius, but I didn't need the insurance headache...

I'll definitely be out in the boonies for a while though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't even try to park next to other cars with my truck haha. I just park way out at the end of the parking lot and call it good. By the time I would have actually got my truck parked next to another car I am already inside the store.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Haven't ever had a problem, although on that note I'm a trucker so I'm used to driving battleships into smallspaces. there is a learning curve in the aspect of where you stage the truck to start your turn into the spot, my soon to be wife is picking up on it pretty quick.
:smileup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My RCSB truck parks like a smart car compared to my previous 2006 chevy silverado crewcab with a 6inch lift.

·
Administrator
2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L Flame Red
42,016 Posts
Only had my truck 2 months and still not easy but like everyone else I find I am walking a bit further now who cares about the spots right outside the store that is where you get all the door dings anyway from careless others.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point. Not only is this my first new car, but I've wanted this truck for so long that every time I walk out from a store I'm compulsively checking for scratches and marks.

Maybe the answer is slat armor?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I usually look for two open spots next to each other. If only a single. I found it easiest to pull in the spot front first if you start to park halfway into the occupied spot just beyond the one you want. If you turn properly when you back up you will line right up for a strait shot into the space.

Mikeski

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yup, parking is a challange. I have been getting quite creative in avoiding the problem. Which means I get lots of exercise in the process. :smileup:
Ive always parked way out in the "open" so parking has never been an issue. I will park a ways out before trying to park close with all the crazy door slammin idiots :) Never an issue parking.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If a space looks like it may be tight, i either back into it or find a parking spot further away

I have driven several 10 wheelers that were easier to drive down the city streets then my Ram does. I still am not sure just where my passenger side is, like is it 6" or a foot from the vehicle parked on the side of the street
It is easier to tell with a semi truck

·
Registered
477 Posts
I gave up all notions of a pretty truck. lol It is nice truck, but I knew from day one that someday someone is going to hit it or I'll hit something I don't worry about it. I drive a truck. not a 200,000 dollar Lamborghini Its built to take a beating. I treat it like my baby but she's gonna get dinged. I find that its easier to back into most spots especially if its gonna be tight. Plus the practice is good for you. If you practice parking in ridiculous spots the time you have to park somewhere you really shouldn't be you'll have no problem doing it.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Here's a tight spot for ya ;) :

I did that on my trip through California on R&R leave in January.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts