DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.

Last night I my left (drivers side) rear parking light would not turn off. It has constant power at ALL times with and without the switch turn to any position. My right side is working properly. It’s not the brake light on just the parking light inside the brake light housing. We found that the wire has CONSTANT power at all times and is just draining the battery even with the emergency battery shut off. We can’t find a relay for the brake lights. Please any help would be really appreciated.

Also on the dash in the messages it says parking light out.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Got to be a short somewhere. I would start at the trailer light plug. Many years ago my Jeep Grand Cherokee had similar issues and found that the ceramic had shorted out like the old distributor caps used to when wet.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Found this. It has to be getting power from something the is powered in key off. There cant be to many of them. The accessory plug in cab (formerly know as cig lighter) Door locks, horn are only things I can think of off top of my head. Pull the fuse for cig lighter and start there. Brake circuit will/should have power with key off, but you said its tail light not brakes. Anybody been in messing with ANY wiring or mods?

Testing for Short to Positive.

Prerequisites:

• Ignition is off
  • Disconnect the component(s) connector(s)
  • Check wiring diagram and make sure no other components are on the circuit
  • Disconnect the controller connector
Testing details:
  • Set Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM) to DC Voltage
  • One DVOM meter probe to battery negative (-)
  • Other probe to wire connection that is being tested (either end)
  • Wiggle the harness
  • Voltage is less than 0.2-Volts is acceptable
Repair details:
  • Search and find the wire short and repair
  • Or install an overlay harness

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this. It has to be getting power from something the is powered in key off. There cant be to many of them. The accessory plug in cab (formerly know as cig lighter) Door locks, horn are only things I can think of off top of my head. Pull the fuse for cig lighter and start there. Brake circuit will/should have power with key off, but you said its tail light not brakes. Anybody been in messing with ANY wiring or mods?

Testing for Short to Positive.

Prerequisites:

• Ignition is off
  • Disconnect the component(s) connector(s)
  • Check wiring diagram and make sure no other components are on the circuit
  • Disconnect the controller connector
Testing details:
  • Set Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM) to DC Voltage
  • One DVOM meter probe to battery negative (-)
  • Other probe to wire connection that is being tested (either end)
  • Wiggle the harness
  • Voltage is less than 0.2-Volts is acceptable
Repair details:
  • Search and find the wire short and repair
  • Or install an overlay harness
We installed a train horn but all new wiring

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well as a starting point, we always will disable any add on accessory since issue started. Just to rule it out. You want to do things in steps so you will k ow what stopped the draining of battery. Then have a focus of where to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I’ve
Well as a starting point, we always will disable any add on accessory since issue started. Just to rule it out. You want to do things in steps so you will k ow what stopped the draining of battery. Then have a focus of
Well as a starting point, we always will disable any add on accessory since issue started. Just to rule it out. You want to do things in steps so you will k ow what stopped the draining of battery. Then have a focus of where to go.
yeah I’ve done that. Checked the fuses. I’m to the point just going to start going through the harness. Only thing Is on this truck could find a relay for the brake lights

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went through the wiring all day today nothing call some people and they are saying it’s the BCM that has to be fixed by the dealer correct?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hmm But why/what circuit is allowing this to be powered key off is the question. The other puzzling thing is why its only one side. If I think about it I'll try to look up some diagrams there at work tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts