DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my ‘18 Ram 1500 CC 6’4” 5.7L Laramie about a month ago. My driveway has a pretty steep incline and I’ve noticed in the mornings when I start it up, it sounds like it’s having to pump fuel into an empty engine. It bogs a little a few times before settling down once the fuel gets to the engine. It doesn’t do this after sitting on a level parking lot all day at work, so I’m pretty sure it’s bc of the gas going to the back of the truck In the driveway. My question is, could this have any long term effects on the engine, fuel pump, or other mechanical parts? Any input is appreciated as I look to have this truck for a long time. It’s my first truck and it’s pretty damn bad-ass!
Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Not sure what the ill effects would be, but I would take it to the dealer and complain and have them look at it under warranty. Could be a check valve in the system not keeping the system pressurized or something.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Your fuel system should have plenty of pressure; if you have to do a repair involving a fuel line then you have to remove the ESD relay, open the gas cap, and crank it to get it to depressurize first

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like I got it figured out. Turning the key to “on” and letting the fuel pump run for a few seconds before cranking seems to have taken care of it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It looks like I got it figured out. Turning the key to “on” and letting the fuel pump run for a few seconds before cranking seems to have taken care of it.

But you should not have to do this. The fuel system is suppose to maintain pressure at all times. If you are losing pressure and have to build it back up when starting, something is wrong. It is still under warranty so I would take it to the dealer and let them look at it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is still under warranty (only has 13k miles). I’ll reach out to a dealer at some point to see if there’s something that needs to be addressed. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts