DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anytime I approach an incline (entering/exiting a driveway usually) my front left sensor "detects" an object and gives the alert. Is there a calibration, adjustment, or proper orientation for the parking sensors that I can check?

I would take it to the dealership as I'm still under warranty, but I had the front bumper replaced with an aftermarket one. So I don't think the dealership will warranty any repair or replacement since I changed the bumpers. The bumper swap does coincide with this issue popping up.

And I had the bumper put on while it was in the body shop being repaired from a collision. The body shop was flexible enough to allow me to use the insurance money to buy an aftermarket bumper instead of replacing it with a factory one. I mentioned this issue to the shop and they asked me to bring it in so they can look at it. But I want to be prepared if they tell me that it's the aftermarket bumper that's causing the problem and they can't help me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My Rebel doesn't have front sensors, but the back ones do the same thing that you're describing. They go off when I back up a sloped driveway, drive through the garage door, or just back into a parking space. They beep so much that I just ignore them. I was going to complain to RAM, but then I got a brand-new Honda Pilot, and it has them front and back, and it's just as bad as the RAM, but worse, since it's front and back. The forward collision, lane departure, and adaptive cruise control stuff is crap too (thank goodness it can be turned off).

I think that the parking sensors (in general) are just low-tech, not very accurate, and a waste of time to mess with them. Need to find out of there's a way to disable them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I should get used to them not working properly. Just kinda sucks since they actually worked without issue just a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dont feel bad, my wifes Lexus had a safety recall because the sensor for the radar cruise control/pre-collision braking system (fancy!) would detect a metal grate in the road as a car and apply the brakes. Really prevalent in cases like yours....going down an incline, since the angle of the bumper was closer to perpendicular to the road at the bottom of the hill, it could "read" the sewer grate at the bottom of a hill. Scary stuff if it happens because it emergency brakes the car when you arent expecting it.

They actually performed 2 recalls...one to disable the system and the other to actually fix it once they had a fix. Took them a full day to replace and recalibrate the system with fixed hardware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts