DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the shock and lower control arm on the passenger side of my truck this past weekend and now the front end sits lower on that side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be that this shock is just shorter than the one on the driver side? (no clue what is on the driver side, it was there when I bought the truck).

I've got a set of Bilstein 5100's I'm going to put on the front next week at the 2" mark (long story as to why I didn't go ahead and do it. read here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=193874).

Will it level back out the sag on the passenger side after these Bilsteins are installed or do you guys think we could have missed something during the install of this one shock?

We did not replace the bump stop or whatever the cone-shaped rubber piece is on the top as it was burned to crap and we couldn't use it. Maybe that is the difference? Sorry I'm such a newb to this, I've just never had this much trouble doing shocks and it's my first 4x4. Thanks for any advice!

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Did you use an OEM replacement parts or aftermarket? Many aftermarket parts don't meet factory specs and this could be the problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use an OEM replacement parts or aftermarket? Many aftermarket parts don't meet factory specs and this could be the problem.
It's a Monroe shock for $106.00 that Auto Zone had in stock. I was limited on a Sunday to where I could pick one up. We put on an aftermarket lower control arm on that side too. Do you think it could be that simple? Sure would be great to have everything line up right after the 5100's go on with that new control arm.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I can't say for sure but it's certainly possible. Chrysler may use any one of several shocks depending on how that particular Ram 1500 is configured (Outdoorsman, Long Horn, etc...) whereas Monroe will make one shock to cover the entire line of 1500's.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How much lower is it on that side? Are you sure that it wasn't like that before and you just never noticed it? The shock won't affect ride height.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much lower is it on that side? Are you sure that it wasn't like that before and you just never noticed it? The shock won't affect ride height.
I am certain it wasn't sagging. I always back in to my parking spot at work so when I'm walking up to it I get a good look at my front end. I'm always staring at it visioning the future lift I want. It's a noticeable sag. I'm betting 2 inches below the driver side. Is it possible at all that we could have compressed the spring too much or for too long causing it to be shorter now? I just can't imagine anything else other than 2 things.
1. Shorter shock/wrong model shock as RamTech said.
2. Overly compressed spring...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it would be possible to over-compress the spring with a compression tool.
I know it was a round about thought but I guess I'll find out more when Mikes Off Road here in TX takes it in on Tuesday. Sure hope the infamous seized strut bolt on the driver side doesn't cost me another control arm! :158:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did you match up the LCA's to make sure they were the same before installing the new one? Did you put the coil pad back in?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you match up the LCA's to make sure they were the same before installing the new one? Did you put the coil pad back in?
I did lay them out side by side and couldn't tell any noticeable difference that would cause this drastic of a sag to happen. I'm going to take the stock LCA to the shop now that you've mentioned this. I'll let them eyeball any possibilities on that note. Thanks man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts