DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home last night with a new-to-me 2015 Ram 1500 Sport. Fully loaded, minus factory trailer brakes and remote start.

I really like the Passive Entry feature, but have a concern, and was wondering if it is "normal"

I left the FOB in my house ~50' away and went to test the doors. As soon as I touch the handle, the dash lights up with the "Press Brake + Push Button to Start" message, but the doors remain locked. The message is very easy to read, especially at night.

I'm worried someone may see the message and think it would be an easy steal (breaking the window and trying to start it, which of course it won't).

Is there anyway to disable the dash from turning on when the handles are touched and the FOB is not near the truck?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I'm sure there is not. I don't think anybody would even think about the dash lights. If anything would probably scare them off. My Durango does that when I brush the door handle walking by it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup, that pi**ed me off too! I don't think it should do that. Makes me think that when someone tries the door handle and gets that response, he'd think, wonder if I can break in?

Try this out. Lock your truck and put the fob away. Now slip your had behind the door handle 8 times; you don't have to wait till the dash lights go out. Having done that, wait till the dash lights go fully out ... from the passenger side check that the leds on the start button all go out as well. Now when you try putting your hand behind the handle, the truck will no longer respond.

You can also repeat this 8 times waiting for all the dash lights to go out between each try. On the eighth try the dash no longer responds. There is a counter in there that counts up to 8. I have no feffin' idea what the engineers were thinking when they programmed this!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that pi**ed me off too! I don't think it should do that. Makes me think that when someone tries the door handle and gets that response, he'd think, wonder if I can break in?

Try this out. Lock your truck and put the fob away. Now slip your had behind the door handle 8 times; you don't have to wait till the dash lights go out. Having done that, wait till the dash lights go fully out ... from the passenger side check that the leds on the start button all go out as well. Now when you try putting your hand behind the handle, the truck will no longer respond.

You can also repeat this 8 times waiting for all the dash lights to go out between each try. On the eighth try the dash no longer responds. There is a counter in there that counts up to 8. I have no feffin' idea what the engineers were thinking when they programmed this!
That works exactly like you said!

8 seems like such an arbitrary number, I doubt I would have figured that out anytime soon.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Sounds like a PITA. . Here is another thing to worry about, your garage door opener will work without the key on.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Sounds like a PITA. . Here is another thing to worry about, your garage door opener will work without the key on.
I thought that one was debunked last week.

If you do the 8 time hand thjng does it make the door handle respond slower when you go to unlock the truck?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

If you do the 8 time hand thjng does it make the door handle respond slower when you go to unlock the truck?
If your door is unlocked the garage door works without the key. I did it to see.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No it does not. All it does is stop the dash lights from turning on when you slide your fingers behind the handle. In my opinion, I feel very strongly that this is the way the truck should always behave when you aren't carrying the fob. What's the point of displaying the message on the DID, "press brake and push start button to start the truck" if you are outside the truck with the doors locked?

As Syner said, that message is very easy to read from outside the truck especially at night AND it is actually quite startling to suddenly see it brightly light up the dash and gauges. If I could get a hold of the engineer/programmer that set this up, I'd kick his a**.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is definitely inconvenient.

• Get home.
  • Walk keys into house.
  • Walk back to truck.
  • Touch handle 8 times.
  • Walk back to house.

Personally, I don't have much of a need for this in front of my house. I was thinking more toward parking at the mall, downtown, or in shadier parts of town. But having my wife walk away with the key while I touch the handle isn't very practical either, and I can see her losing patience with that ritual real quick.

I didn't notice any speed difference.

No it does not. All it does is stop the dash lights from turning on when you slide your fingers behind the handle. In my opinion, I feel very strongly that this is the way the truck should always behave when you aren't carrying the fob. What's the point of displaying the message on the DID, "press brake and push start button to start the truck" if you are outside the truck with the doors locked?

As Syner said, that message is very easy to read from outside the truck especially at night AND it is actually quite startling to suddenly see it brightly light up the dash and gauges. If I could get a hold of the engineer/programmer that set this up, I'd kick his a**.
I have no idea what language these are programmed in, but a simple "if" or "cond" statement would have easily kept the dash off. Adding a counter would have been much more complex.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Ok cool I just got back to the US so I will do this to the Durango tonight when I get home

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to note: you'll have to do this every time. The counter resets the next time you start the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Just to note: you'll have to do this every time. The counter resets the next time you start the vehicle.
Ah weak. NVM then

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,444 Posts
Isn't anything to worry about.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
Sheesh, I for one sure am glad I don't have all of this technology to keep me awake at night in my Express trim. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Sheesh, I for one sure am glad I don't have all of this technology to keep me awake at night in my Express trim. :LOL:
I have it and it doesn't keep me awake. It's like the home link post. People worried about garage door being opened from you truck without the key. No different than a remote hanging on your visor. I don't see anybody seeing that msg on the dash and trying ty to steal it. At least not where I live.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts