DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 sport 4x4 5.7l hemi. I am looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel probably around a 26ft. How important is the pin weight when calculating on which trailer to buy?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
On a 1500 you're very limited by payload, which thereby limits pin weight. I would venture a guess that your Sport has a payload somewhere around 1200 pounds, which makes it difficult to add a 5W and stay within the stated limitations if you're bringing family and gear. 5W are more difficult due to higher pin weight than a comparable TT has for hitch weight.

Are you towing anything currently? 3.92 gears?

·
Registered
118 Posts
5th wheel pin weight is supposed to be around 20% of trailer weight, this is a lot hight than other travel trailers. So a 6000 lb 5th wheel (if you can find one) would have a 1200 lb pin weight, that is likely your total payload. If you are putting passengers or cargo in the truck, your payload decreases and you'll be over quick. Most 5ths that I've seen are closer to 2k lb pin weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haul a 26' wilderness 5th weighing in at 6800lbs. I actually had more of an issue with pin height. I ended up putting the 17's back on for hauling it because i didn't have enough bock clearance. newer campers come with a higher suspension so it's not bad with the taller trucks.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Pin weight is the #1 issue you will run into when towing a 5er with a 1500 or a 2500 diesel. IMHO 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels are a solution to a non-existent problem

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
IMHO 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels are a solution to a non-existent problem
If they were within the towing abilities, I would have opted for a 5W. They are much more spacious, and at 6'2, I would really appreciate the extra ceiling height as to not feel crowded. I don't feel too crowded with my current trailer because it has a bunch of windows, but there's no denying the advantage of a 5W for roominess.
With that being said, the nicer TT's have arched ceilings rather than flat for a roomier feel, but you certainly aren't getting a ceiling fan like you can in a 5W. Is it a necessity, no. I'm sure I'd pay a decent fuel penalty while towing so I'm okay with my TT.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If they were within the towing abilities, I would have opted for a 5W. They are much more spacious, and at 6'2, I would really appreciate the extra ceiling height as to not feel crowded. I don't feel too crowded with my current trailer because it has a bunch of windows, but there's no denying the advantage of a 5W for roominess.
With that being said, the nicer TT's have arched ceilings rather than flat for a roomier feel, but you certainly aren't getting a ceiling fan like you can in a 5W. Is it a necessity, no. I'm sure I'd pay a decent fuel penalty while towing so I'm okay with my TT.

I feel like they could just make bumper pulls taller and accomplish the same thing without the payload penalty and cutting out the bottom front 1/4 of space

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
what I don't understand: why do people want a 5th wheel with a 1500, which barely has enough payload to pull a normal pull behind and simultaneously have the puppy on the backseat? The only advantage a 5th wheel has is it's easier to maneuver and it has higher ceilings. the rest is the same. With a 1500 you can't have all those nice features, which makes the purchase valuable, like 4 or more slides, extra rooms, bigger living area, bigger kitchen, etc...- things you also get with a tow behind but also there- if you want one of those nice huge pull behinds, you very likely need at least a 2500. From my point of view, a small, 1500 towable 5th wheel makes no sense and I can't see, why people always asking for it. And those have all one thing in common: they never went camping before, have no idea, what it takes to have a camper and only seen those nice rigs on the road or on the other side of the swim area on the lake overyonder at the camp ground.
I understand, that there is a market- obviously- but I would estimate the resale value of those campers half of what a normal tow behind would be. And who ever had a camper knows, to own one is nice, and even though you wanted to keep it 10+ years- latest after 3-5 years, you will think about something else. And then resale value is important. I- on my side- know nobody who would even consider a 5th wheel attached to less than a 2500.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I saw a Gooseneck trailer that was setup for camping
The gooseneck arch was tall & rounded like a Swans neck

It sure looked strange, but not as bad as this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts