DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,437 Posts
Yeah after thinking about this a little more while driving, my muscle memory just knows where to put the pedal for the response and feedback I’m in search for.

Some people have longer learning curves than others.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
It's not so much how hard you press the pedal. I can floor it and there is still a delay before the truck realizes it. The pedal Commander is designed to remove that delay. I press the pedal and I get immediate response. There is a more direct connection between my action and the response I desire. For some people that lack of delay increases their enjoyment of driving and is worth the cost for others it simply is not.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,437 Posts
I would agree, but by using ERS I’m always in the right gear and don’t have to wait for the “delay” or downshift.

You could say ERS is cumbersome, sure but if you learn that way from the start it’s just part of the normal driving experience.

Ok I’m done, just stating why I would not benefit from a PC but a high percentage of “put it in drive and go” consumers will.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,437 Posts
I’ve been in a truck with a PC, anything over sport+2 just becomes wheel spin everywhere(*open diff is better for playing in mud/snow) even with my 335 wide tires.

The 3.21 trucks with the 8 speed will benefit more too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For those who think pressing the pedal harder is the same thing better explain how I got almost a sec less on my 0-60 with the PC?? Yes I have the 8 speed 3:21.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I have to go easy on the Go pedal on take off with my Ecodiesel
For some reason if i use the pressure that i used with my 2009 Ram w/ HEMI, my tires would be spinning every time that i left a Stop sign.

It doesn't have the same response as the HEMI when passing another vehicle on the freeway, so have to decide if there is a big enough gap between vehicles over in the lane that i need to make that pass.
The HEMI just seemed to have instant response when i needed to make that maneuver

·
Registered
64 Posts
Let me get this right. If I tap the gas pedal with a Pc it’s like me stepping on the pedal full throttle? Does my rpms shoot up way past ten they normally would?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have no wheel spin problems using the PC, you guys must have some crappy tires :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
good info ive been wanting one for my 17 it has 3:21 gear with 35s on it n feels like a turd I'm surprised I still get almost 19mpg but its like driving a slug

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
People seem to really like these, I am still somewhat skeptical though. Its not good for longevity to mash the pedal all the time so I am not sure removing the throttle delay isn't. Keeping in mind that max input capacities for transmissions are contingent on torque management to restrict max output to certain situations-the Aisin/Cummins trucks aren't making 900lb-ft off idle.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
People seem to really like these, I am still somewhat skeptical though. Its not good for longevity to mash the pedal all the time so I am not sure removing the throttle delay isn't. Keeping in mind that max input capacities for transmissions are contingent on torque management to restrict max output to certain situations-the Aisin/Cummins trucks aren't making 900lb-ft off idle.
I can understand that concern and it is why I would not turn it up to sport or sport plus for my everyday driving. I mild increase I would think would keep things within spec as they have to allow for people with a heavy foot driving a hemi anyways. I enjoy it for passing on the highway too where i can press the pedal and get a more immediate response to get around someone etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I drive it like i stole it including my motorcycle, and have never had a major prob with an engine. Yet ppl i know who baby theirs have more probs.
Love the PC and i keep it on sport 2. Sport+4 will make me spill my coffee lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My truck has the slight stutter when maintaining speed around 45 mph and taking a slight incline. I've noticed my PC makes the stutter more predominant. I need to disconnect the PC and see if this clears up my issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I ordered mine back in January and use it every day. What I have noticed from a users perspective may or may not help in anyone's decision to purchase one, but here goes.

I read in the beginning that "City" or "City +1-4" settings are the most ideal for most users for everyday driving, so thats what I started with. And for the most part they were right, it is. However what isnt explained and I think should be, is what time does to the driver. Your muscle memory changes, what used to be normal applied pressure to the gas pedal to get the desired result you are used to has changed dramatically. So there is a learning curve to get through before you become completely comfortable with the sensitivity of the product. However once you do, you can drive as if the pedal commander wasnt powered on. Everything adjusts to the pressure required to get the desired result from your gas pedal. Over time I have noticed that my touch on the gas pedal has reduced greatly and I can start from a green light with the PC on "Sport, +4" as gently as I did when the device wasnt hooked up. Its not a constant feeling of smashing the pedal all the time, only when you want it to. Even if your on a sensitive sport setting. Now, for me, the game changer is in the "Sport +" 1-4 settings. This is a violently sensitive setting and there is little comfort to using it for every day driving. Perhaps in time you can get adjusted to its sensitivity levels too, but I have no intentions of trying. Lol.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am waiting for Amazon to start selling the updated Bluetooth version. I have $400 in Amazon gift cards to use!!!! Can't wait to see someone on here with the new unit and how they like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all! I'm a new Ram truck owner (my first truck) and new to the forumz. Much like a lot of you, I'm looking for better throttle response and will be ordering the new PC31. My only question is, will the truck need to be tuned on a dyno? Or is the unit simply plug and play? My same question goes for cold air intakes...I've read that CAI are not good and can have negative long term effects. What are your opinions on that and would the truck need to be dyno if I did a CAI and GT gauge tuner ? Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
Hello all! I'm a new Ram truck owner (my first truck) and new to the forumz. Much like a lot of you, I'm looking for better throttle response and will be ordering the new PC31. My only question is, will the truck need to be tuned on a dyno? Or is the unit simply plug and play? My same question goes for cold air intakes...I've read that CAI are not good and can have negative long term effects. What are your opinions on that and would the truck need to be dyno if I did a CAI and GT gauge tuner ? Thanks !
Its just plug and play. It reduces throttle response time, it doesn't alter the PCM or shift points or anything like that.

Its not so much that CAIs are bad as it is they don't give you anything for the money

·
Registered
712 Posts
There is a lot of talk on PC settings. Here is what I experienced just last month. I live at 5000' and run sport +2. Drove South and at sea level it was waaay too hot. Had to back off to city +3 to get the same performance and not light up the tires at every light. Elevation does make a difference on your settings.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts