DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put many thousands of miles on my 2017 QC 2x4 RAM towing dump trailer, often at or near max GCWR. It is the pentastar with 3.55 rear. My question is, what would you all think would be the better towing setup, my current one, or a Hemi with 3:21? I understand that numbers on paper show the Hemi with a larger tow capacity, but has anyone here towed with both engines, and those gear ratios? I am in a predicament for my next truck, I know i work the pentastar to capacity, but i LOVE the empty fuel mileage. Im afraid that the hemi with 3:21 would just lug with 6-7k behind it. My pentastar, with the 3:55, while isn't a Cummins with 4:10s, does ok by me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would opt for the hemi! That 8 speed 3:21 combo made for solid mileage and you will be more comfortable pulling closer to your max load. I had a pentastar for a work truck and it was excellent for doing 99% of things, but I personally would rather haul with a Hemi.

Either way they are both great options.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have a hemi and 3.21 gears. My GCWR when towing is 13,200, which makes my trailer and cargo about 7800#. It is no slouch by any stretch and I have 34" AT tires on it while hauling a camper. The truck does not lug, it has passing power and tows through the mountains on New England.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The Hemi 3.21 is rated for around 8500 lbs towing, and believe me that it will pull more than that. The Pentastar 3.55 is rated for less and I don't think it has the same yank the Hemi does starting off

·
Registered
180 Posts
Depending on the type of empty driving you do the mpg on the Hemi might not be too bad. I have a short, 5-mile each way daily commute including hills and I'm getting around 14. On longer highway or freeway runs empty I've been able to get just over 19. Towing the camper it's pretty consistent around 11.5-12.5 ( these are hand-calculated and not EVIC numbers). If you are doing a lot of towing/hauling I'd opt for more capability with the Hemi and not worry so much about the empty mpg. If you can find one with the extended range fuel tank all the better for towing. Just make sure and check the payload on whatever you get, especially if it's a higher trim level. I think the newer models have improved on that but better to be sure than find out after you plunk down the cash....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts