DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
That seems a bit much. I have a 3.6 Challenger and it runs 205 here in the desert. I have a 5.7 and it does run 222-224 max here.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My Durango doesn't have a coolant temp readout like it does for oil and trans fluid. That does seem a little high, I'd expect low 220s

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
My 2015 V6 runs in the 220 range alot and sometimes close to the 230 ! My dealer say it is normal ! Since they change the Thermostat it stays lower temps more !

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My 18' RAM 1500 3.6 was getting into 230°'s also, along with the oil temp. My solution was to take one grill shutter out, right side third from top. Not both sides, just one. Now......water temp gets up to 215°'ish, but will go back down to 203°-205° after a couple of miles. Oil temp has not gotten above 215° and it also goes back down. The engineers can say what they want, and I in no way profess to be smarter than they are. But letting just "a little bit" more air in sure helps the temps not get so dang high and they come back down if they do get up there. Zero difference on MPG.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
My 18' RAM 1500 3.6 was getting into 230°'s also, along with the oil temp. My solution was to take one grill shutter out, right side third from top. Not both sides, just one. Now......water temp gets up to 215°'ish, but will go back down to 203°-205° after a couple of miles. Oil temp has not gotten above 215° and it also goes back down. The engineers can say what they want, and I in no way profess to be smarter than they are. But letting just "a little bit" more air in sure helps the temps not get so dang high and they come back down if they do get up there. Zero difference on MPG.
How much of a pain was it to remove the grill shutter ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Rado, It's not hard at all. Take off grill. Take off the grill shutter assy. Lay it face down. Unsnap the rectangular looking holder at the end away from the motor. Gently take a flat screw driver and pry the end of the one shutter out of the inside bracket. It doesn't take much. Realign the shutters along with the motor arm in all the tab holders. The rectangular piece should almost be laying flat with all the movement arms lined up. Just snap the last two shutters in place. Everything will be laying flat now. Every thing should wiggle just a little bit. Plug in the motor again, set grill shutters in place. You'll see everything I'm talking about. Start the truck. Watch how the shutter go full closed and back to full open. Done. Bolt everything back together and go for a drive. You will see a difference. Came from work today, water temp 203°.....oil temp 208°.....outside temp 91°.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I am going to try that. May even try taking 2 out. More air is always better! Thanks!

Actually, one of the reasons for the thermal management system that the grille shutters are a part of, is to get the transmission up to temperature faster. Warm (within the operating temp range 176-196 Fahrenheit) transmission fluid prevents wear better than cold (<176) fluid

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The trans temp is up to 176° in about 7-10 miles. It stays around there all the time so I don't think adding a little air flow is effecting it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called the dealer and will take my Ram in week after next. Temps got to 235 today on the highway and it was only 82 degrees outside. Oil temp was 240. I told the adviser that's too high in my opinion. Cooling system is supposed to be covered under the 5/60,000 power train warranty. In my view it needs a lower thermostat, currently a 195 degree one now. If they give me any crap, I'm going to yank all the shutters out of it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i removed SIX of mine. 3 on each side. Water temps never above 206 anymore.

You can remove more. But the TOP and the BOTTOM on each side have to remain.

How much of a pain was it to remove the grill shutter ?

Thanks

Its not hard. only 4 screws holding it on, after you remove the grille.

the grille stats just pop out.

A couple of youtube video's detailing removal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i removed SIX of mine. 3 on each side. Water temps never above 206 anymore.

You can remove more. But the TOP and the BOTTOM on each side have to remain.

Its not hard. only 4 screws holding it on, after you remove the grille.

the grille stats just pop out.

A couple of youtube video's detailing removal.
so the mechanism continues to open and close normally without hanging up?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yep, provided you make sure the top and bottom shutters and the motor arm is snapped in correctly. To really make sure of this remove the shutter assembly so you can see the back side. When everything is snapped in correctly the rectangular bar and the shutters will wiggle a little bit. Lay it back up on front of truck, plug it in. Start it up and watch it cycle full closed and back to full open.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I removed 6 this morning.Left the 2 top and 2 bottom ones and 1 on each side in the middle. Success! Runs most all the time around 195 with an occasion momentary spike to 204 city or highway. Oil and trans temps way down too. I am not going to burn up a motor simply because Dodge is trying to meet govt standards. Thanks so much for the tip. It works great and no PCM error codes!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts