DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
sorry man, i dont know much about the magnum. and there are way too many variables of how more displacement affects a cam. A lot will depend on head flow, pistons, compression, engine rpm, etc... However GENERALLY speaking, more displacement will allow for a bigger cam.

For a stroker kit, if you want the best there is, build one yourself instead of buying a "kit." You wont believe it, but a good rebuild with stock displacement will outperform most stroker "kits" in the market. Ive seen TONS of 355ci chevys smoke poorly built or cheap 383 strokers. It will be more expensive, but it will be worth it. Just remember strokers are FAR from cheap when done right.
this is all true. i run a .030 over 360 in one of my Dakota R/T's and i can punish some of the stroker Dakota's with it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yea that would b sick so what ur saying is make my own stroker build? Or ur saying rebuild the engine? If ur saying rebuild the engine what parts should I look for and if ur saying build my own stroker engine what kind of parts do I look for and how do I tell if the parts are potentially for a STROKER build? And could I do both and get an even better out come than just one of those choices? Or are they so different of builds that they won't MESH together properly? And not trying to offend u on this one if u aren't but if ur not an expert on this area who should I talk to local shop , post a reply to a certain member on this forum or email/message an expert? Thanks Zlow28 :)
building a stroker involves a total rebuild anyway. you can build a strong 360 and upgrade to a 408 later on down the road. it would basically involve new pistons and a stroker crank. connecting rods have the same specs for 360-408.

there is a LOT of good information in this book

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Big-Inch-Mopar-Small-Blocks/dp/193249457X

·
Banned
885 Posts
building a stroker involves a total rebuild anyway. you can build a strong 360 and upgrade to a 408 later on down the road. it would basically involve new pistons and a stroker crank. connecting rods have the same specs for 360-408.

Have that book lol theres a plethera of information, but as a 5.2 owner I was a little dissapointed b/c alot of the info is based towards 5.9's, because if you got by the "theres no replacement for displacement" motto, obviously the 5.9 is more favorable for a stroker. But never the less the book definitely will give more insight to building a stroker.

To the OP, be prepared to spend a big chunk of change if your aiming for a stroker.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have that book lol theres a plethera of information, but as a 5.2 owner I was a little dissapointed b/c alot of the info is based towards 5.9's, because if you got by the "theres no replacement for displacement" motto, obviously the 5.9 is more favorable for a stroker. But never the less the book definitely will give more insight to building a stroker.

To the OP, be prepared to spend a big chunk of change if your aiming for a stroker.
true, however, pretty much everything directed towards the Magnum 360 can be implemented towards the Magnum 318. not much difference between the two.

·
Banned
885 Posts
yeah, I know, the options for parts for the 5.2 listed in the book is also prob less then a 1/4th of what is available for the 5.9. but yeah your right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Heck yea ima buy that book in the next day or two and I thought only the crank and heads were different between the 5.2 and 5.9 also I heard a lot of the 5.9 parts can fit the 5.2?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yea that would b sick so what ur saying is make my own stroker build? Or ur saying rebuild the engine? If ur saying rebuild the engine what parts should I look for and if ur saying build my own stroker engine what kind of parts do I look for and how do I tell if the parts are potentially for a STROKER build? And could I do both and get an even better out come than just one of those choices? Or are they so different of builds that they won't MESH together properly? And not trying to offend u on this one if u aren't but if ur not an expert on this area who should I talk to local shop , post a reply to a certain member on this forum or email/message an expert? Thanks Zlow28 :)
No ofense taken :smileup:. Yes, a custom build of any displacement, will outlive any "kit" out there. Most of the time it will also outperform it too. For more info, id talk to someone who has already done a similar build or someone who has rebuild the same engine many times. Those are real experts and they let you know what works and what doesnt.

Zlow, "someone" said there's no point in changing rocker ratios if you're replacing cams. If you get the right cam, why then turn right around and change the ratio? You wouldn't. I did not say one should not buy aftermarket rockers. If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket and want that last Nth degree of precision, go for it. They are, by the way, available in stock ratios.
Hes getting an off the shelf cam. Thats not custom. If he were getting a custom cam, then you might be right, but even then i cant see how a higher lift would hurt. The person making the cam would then suggest you a proper rocker ratio basing it on the cam card specd.
However, with an off the shelf cam, theyre gonna give you the intake and exhaust lift using a certain rocker ratio, and its not always the stock size. Therefore there is NOTHING custom from any comp cam or any off the shelf cam.
OP, its up to you, but listen to what other builders have done.

your best bet is to call Comp Cams tech support. they will be able to help you sort out what your gonna need.

there are a lot of variables when it comes to the correct push rod length. your best be is to get some adjustable push rods and use them to measure once everything is back together.

but for a cam swap, your gonna need: cam of course, double roller timing chain (recommended), install lube, might be a good idea to get some new lifters (depending on how many miles you have on them), new springs (based on cam specs), retainers, locks, i would also recommend adjustable roller rockers, one piece push rods, intake gasket set, oil & filter, coolant, black RTV. in a nut shell, thats basically everything you'll need.

it's also best to have the cam degree'd in.

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/
Dont rely on a comp cam technician. They might know about their cams, but know nothing about your specific build. Think about it, they make cams for almost every performance engine available. They only know their own cams. Someone who builds your specific engine will most likely know best.

Brutus is right, a book like that will help a lot. Itll give you an idea, of what youre gonna get yourself into. A stroker vs rebuild depends on the type of rebuild youre doing. If youre doing a rebuild and replacing pistons and rods, the only difference will be the crankshaft.

Let me give you an example. I was gonna rebuild my stock lt1 and have it bored .030 over making it a 355 instead of a 350. For this i was gonna buy:

TOP END
1) cam
2) rockers and studs
3) pushrods
4) guideplates
5) lifters
6) springs with retainers and locks
7) timing chain

BOTTOM END
1) pistons
2) connecting rods and bolts
3) main & rod bearings
4) oil pump
5) gaskets

This was for a forged 355 with stock heads. The ONLY thing missing for a 383 was the crankshaft. So for an extra ~600 bucks i get a 383 stroker instead of a built 355.

A lot of people re-use their pistons and rods when they do stock rebuilds, so they save tons of money. Since i was gonna have em replaced anyway, i figured itd be better to spend a little more and have a torque monster :pepper:

I know im missing a couple things in the list but hope that gives you an idea at what you should be looking at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yea of corse thx guys tones of info basicly an engine build is almost identicle to a stroker build but which is better say for a daily driver then goin to the track with buds and there chev. Nova, 67 charger and boosted Honda prelude, I wanna b able to keep up with these guys with my 1/2 ton I love my year and looks of my 5.2 but it just doesn't have the hp. Or tq YET we thrive on the track as well as on the street turf so torque is a BIG concern that's why I started lookin in to a STROKER kit. P. s. I'm getting quite a big grant check for school and I already used what i need out of it for classes and books so every semester I will have 1000$ to drop in to my truck now what should I do with that 1000 keep in mind in 5 months ima have another 1000 to drop on my truck let me know ur ideas please. P.s. lol I would like to keep my 5.2 it's basicly the same as a 5.9 in my year so hit me up with 1000$ worth of upgrades + I will b doing most of the rebuild myself in less its VERY technical so u don't have to budget in labor for the upgrades thanks guys.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sorry man $2k wont get you a stroker. How many miles is your truck? If its still in good condition with low miles, id probly do a cam and supporting mods including bolt ons. If your engine is in bad shape or just too old to trust, get a stock cc rebuild. But it will depend a lot on your engines condition, so your builder will let you know how that goes.
He'll let you know if you can still reuse the pistons, rods, and if the block needs to be clearanced or resurfaced.

Or better yet, why not buy a different engine and drop that in? Maybe an LSX or HEMI? Im not sure if theyll fit properly but just a thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yea I thought about that but I just tout its just a giant cash hole to drop a hemi in and I'll have more than 2k I'll b goin to school for like 4 years so that's like 8 grand if I saved all the left over cash cuz I will b getting more grant money after this semester and I'll b building it it's my hobby I know mechanics just not performance I'm goin to school to b a diesel engine engineer and my truck mileage just hit 101000 miles and still run in like a CHAMP no lie change fluids every 3000 miles I was just asking what I should do with 1000$ so I can partially build it every time I get the grant money which is every 3-5 months

·
Registered
209 Posts
gotcha. the reason i recomended the ls1 engine is cus you can find them for pretty cheap, come stock with ~300rwhp, and they are very easy and cheap to mod. Thats what i would do. Itd be cheaper than a stroker, and more likely more powerful. Ive also seen a couple rams with a lsx over at ls1tech. Just start saving up and make your decision before you start spending any money so you dont regret it later on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yea so what is the ls1? And will I have to get custom mounts along with computer and everything else to just run it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
the ls1 is the engine found in 97-200ish corvettes, 98-02 camaros z28 and SS, 98-02 trans ams and they are very popular engines for performance swaps. Theyre 346ci 5.7l aluminum pushrod engines. And yes, you will more than likely need a ls1 k member, its pcm, wiring harness and maybe a transmission swap too (not sure on that one). But ive seen these engines sell for around $1k every once in a while. Actually theres one around here selling for 2 thousand bucks but it includes wiring harness and a t56 transmission. Also you can find TONS of aftermarket parts for them and most lsx parts are interchangeable.

In ther words, it wont be easy or cheap to go fast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I want all dodge tho and don't rly like chevys not to bash on u man if anything I'd go with a hemi 96-2000 to fit my truck what will I have to do to run this motor?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Will my motor mounts fit sine 90 percent identicle and tranny + computer?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I want all dodge tho and don't rly like chevys not to bash on u man if anything I'd go with a hemi 96-2000 to fit my truck what will I have to do to run this motor?
No prob. the HEMI will be even more expensive though. As far as the swap maybe someone else can chime in on that...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Lol ok thx man wouldn't it b the same out come tho as the 5.2 after I upgrade everything cuz after that it would b a 360 ci after an upgraded cam and heads right?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts