DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a lifter that's pecking so I want to replace all of them at once and wondering if theres a better set than the stock ones that will gain better performance than stock without having to make any changes to my engine, so a simple pull the old ones and replace with newer ones. If anyone can help me with this problem would be great thanks

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If you are looking at using roller lifters, you will have to get a camshaft to work with them. If you already have roller lifters, I don't believe they are factory. I am not aware of the 5.9 coming factory with a roller cam/lifters. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
239 Posts
the Magnum V8's have hyd roller lifters/cam.

just get the Mopar lifters. be sure to prime them before you fire it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any that are better than stock and I believe what's in it is factory

·
Registered
70 Posts
check out harland sharp you can get a 1.7 ratio roller rocker rocker non-adjustible no other mods required pull the old bolt on the new torque to speck. Your 5.9 should have a roller cam stock, roller lifters stock but the rockers are non roller 1.6 ratio i do believe. My 2 cents

tuckertrucker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I heard about that thinking about doing that after I get new lifters I heard comp makes good lifters

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The 360/5.9 has had roller cam/lifters since the late 80's.
CompCams has a nice set. The main advantages are tighter clearances and better plunger and oil control, which comes into play at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well I have to have new lifters and would Like to get a bigger cam cause I love the way they sound and heard they gain hp to I know I can get a cam kit with cam and lifters but I don't know the right one to pick spec wise

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the biggest cam I can get without having to totally redo my motor for it to work and are hydraulic roller lifters the same as roller lifters

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
There are solid lifters and hydraulic lifters. They are available in flat or roller configuration. Hydraulic is best for street applications, they self-adjust. Solids are better for all-out racing. They require manual adjustments periodically. It's not as big a problem with rollers as flats because the flats wear more, but unless you want to be under the hood fairly often, stick with the hydraulics. As for a cam, the biggest you can get isn't the best you can get. The engine will handle a lot more cam than the stock computer will run. You mentioned the way they sound. I suppose that means the rumpity-rump variety. This is not friendly with the stock computer. You'll need aftermarket programming to handle that sort of cam. I'd go with the CompCams Xtreme Energy XR264. You will need the matching valves springs with any cam upgrade. It'll work well with a 5.9's stock systems. Any hotter and you'd need computer mods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks what kind of programmer will I need and what's best with a cam solid or hyd lifters and I've been looking a cam kits that come with cam lifters springs and timing chain and sprockets and more

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have already stated hydraulic lifters are best for street use.
Tuners are not my area, perhaps someone else can offer advice. Couple things. Typically, using a tuner will bring with it a need to run higher octane gas, meaning more cost. Also, a ticking lifter doesn't mean it's bad. It could be fixed with a round of Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam. It may not even be a lifter. An exhuast leak can sound just like a sticky lifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I had my mechanic look at it after I seafoamed it and he said it needs new lifters where did u find that com cam you were talking about everytime I search for it all I find is one for a chevy

·
Registered
239 Posts
call Comp Cams Tech. they will help you with your needs.

i called them to get the right cam, springs, retainers & locks for my application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called comp cams they told me this is best cam for  the stock motor in my truck Xtreme Energy™, XR265 
Performance Cam, Will Require Computer Modifications
PART NUMBER: 20-746-9

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Best is a relative term but yeah, if you want to make computer mods, the 265 is ghe way to go. I'd suggested the 264 thinking, at that point, that you were staying essentially stock on the computer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm just goin to pass on the whole cam project just way to much money to spend right now and to much modding to do just for it to work maybe later after I save the money and talk myself into a 408 stroker kit so I believe for now I'll just worry about my lifters so back on subject lol just lifters I searched online at summit racing and saw they carry performance lifters has anyone ran them how'd they turn out and did they come with any hp/torque performance gains if so where at low high or overall end range

·
Registered
239 Posts
all you can run is a stock type replacement. your not going to gain much of anything from just a new set of lifters.

do some research to see what lifters you can drop right in with your stock valve train.

i bought some of those Rhodes VMaxx lifters for my Dak. they will not work with the stock rocker arms. i have Crane Gold adjustable roller rockers. you need the adjust-ability to set the correct lash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts