DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post while I waited on some help from CompCams.:wavey:

Rebuilding 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 motor, Not looking to soup up just looking to build a good long lasting motor. (first timer here)

Curious if anyone knows,

- ONE - stock lift is .410? well I shouldn't need springs or anything else in the head if I went with this setup would I ??? I wanna buy a kit because I would like new lifters just to be on the safe side.:box:

specs
http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_9v8.htm

Possible Camshaft???
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/200160/10002/-1

TWO- Can I go from a hydraulic roller camshaft to a Hydraulic Flat Tappet??????

or is there a better setup out there? going to re use pistons and crank shaft, throw a cold air on it. Building my own custom bumper
half way through) got some fender flares and sittin on 35's Trucks looking pretty beefy.. .JUST NEEDS A MOTOR BACK IN IT!!! AHHH:LOL:

Got the money for parts now im just trying to be really picky and decide before I go and spend a grand!

Any help preciated thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rollers vs. Flats

I'm not sure about the lift distance, but it's my understanding that rollers are better than flats. You have less friction, and therefore less wear on the cam. I also believe that you can re-use rollers if you go to a different cam. And rollers take less power to turn. (Not that the amount of power consumed by the cam is going to make any noticeable difference.)

If you're looking for longevity, so long as you can afford them, I would stick with rollers.

I'm actually looking at giving my '94 a similar treatment. I'm so early in it though, I couldn't tell you whether it has flats or rollers as stock.

Interested to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
No, No.....Hell No. What are you doing? You will have greater lift in a Magnum engine. The lift numbers advertised are for a 1.5:1 rocker ratio. With the Magnum's 1.6:1 ratio, that will put you at over .420" lift (the stock 5.9 is .410". In and of itself, that's not a problem. The 5.2 and 5.9 have the same springs, so the additional lift isn't an issue for that (5.2 Magnum lift is .432"), but you're worried about used lifters, but are okay with used springs? Use new ones. Springs will fatigue. Eventually you'll crack one, drop a valve, and frag your engine. That costs much more than a new set of springs and locks. And yes, you can go to a flat tappet cam with the proper parts, but once you add up the cost of those parts, you have the same money as a new roller cam. Also, since motor oils are being changed by the EPA, you'd need to run specially made oils intended for flat tappet cams (once the norm, now a specialty) or use zinc additives. I have noticed that my timing chains last much longer with the roller cams which goes along with what Brewtus was saying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts